UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Best Engine Oil

Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I always run mine on Crisp n Dry because it's low in saturates high in polyunsaturates, that or the Mercruiser stuff I put in my boat that's 25w40 fully syth so it'll really make sure the TCT never rattles!

(I told you this thread should have been kept locked - I'm trying to resist but I can't just walk on by)
Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1408655654' post='23296715
[quote name='s2k_Nut' timestamp='1408651996' post='23296609']
[quote name='s2k4tony' timestamp='1408637113' post='23296177']
Subjective, but using the wrong oil can unearth the DEADLY TCT snakecharmer noise

https://www.s2ki.com/...ishment-thread/

From experience of doing my own 02 plate, reading deeply about it on the USA side of this sight also, engine oils don't all behave the same at higher temp, in relation to oil pressure (which as we know operates the TCT effectively). Unfortunately there's no direct proof because this would be from Honda, who will never openly admit to such a design flaw as the frequent 40k plus failures of timing chain tensioners. I say failure, meaning what they are meant to do without roughing the worm gear up to make it work again. I've read quite a few that have changed their chain & tensioner, yet the rattle has come back. That tells me if it's happened on a few owners cars, it's only going to be the oil / oil pressure
For me, the owner of my car was running semi-synth Morris oil 10w (he was an old boy, in fact I spoke about this with you with Baz after I bought the car). No noises, car stunning and smoothest f20c you'd ever hear. Few weeks later, I changed to Shell Helix 5w30 fully synth. Car didn't sound as smooth after oil change, TCT RATTLING like a snake on hot starts. Refurbed TCT and although I didn't post this, it returned & I changed back to 10w before I sold it. There was no noise whatsoever for the few weeks I ran on 10w, before it sold. Of course, I'll never know if it came back, but I'd hedge my bets on the cars history and the 67yr old garage queen owner that it was more sensitive to the oil it was fed by me. Call it co-incidence, not so sure after a bit of research.

In truth Paul, you have enjoyed your car for so long, and it's had a busy Vtec life. Therefore it's possible your chain was stretched and less likely that an oil change would make much difference. These small details can make all the difference ...like Baz's for example, getting on for 100k almost with no noise. My other w reg went to 82k when I sold it, and it never rattled. But it had a nice life mainly out of Vtec being a commuter. So I'll stand by that comment, oil can make a difference. It depends on your cars' life (I.e chain stretch) and every component matters (including the oil) if something isn't right.

Unless you start removing chains and measure these stretches against each other, it's always going to be an argument forever. Refurbing the TCT is of course very important, I understand why we rough the worm gear, how this changes the behaviour of its movement the tension the chain and drilling out the oil pressure hole. I'm not saying that everyone use 10w, it just worked for me going back to what the car had in its belly (which was bloody dirty oil when it was changed, I might add). My theory is... Slightly stretched chain (guessing), refurb TCT and oil. But try oil first, it has worked for some. It has. If nothing works, new chain.

Bs? Up to you. Shame
[/quote]

.... so you are telling me and the rest of us on the forum that if we use 10w40 we will never have TCT rattle, sorry Tony but I stand by my BS statement
[/quote]
Read back through it Paul, no I didn't. I'll stick to what worked for me, what I understand and how the car is sensitive to oil with a possible slightly stretched chain. Could be wrong, could be right. There's no holy grail answer, you choose your own ideas around it. The facelift cars I noticed had rattles more than earlier ones. I would in my view relate to a cars hard life, again its only probable.
We both aren't oil gurus . When I buy another (and it will be pre 2001, or post 2005) I'll stick to this principle. :-)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

I'll run mine on Hawaiin Tropic factor 8 just cos the sun shines so much in Wigan
Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I always run mine on Crisp n Dry because it's low in saturates high in polyunsaturates, that or the Mercruiser stuff I put in my boat that's 25w40 fully syth so it'll really make sure the TCT never rattles!

(I told you this thread should have been kept locked - I'm trying to resist but I can't just walk on by)
You are probably right, I unlocked it so as not to be too harsh to Jodie, the OP, who is a newbie.

Having said all that, it's probably about time...