UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Best Drivers in Europe?

Old 07-16-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Drivers in Europe?

Hi All,

If you were expecting a survey, poll or focus group then you've come to the wrong post! This is just my opinion.

I've just got back from a week-long stay in Bordeaux and decided to cover the journey on the new bike First things first: the bike performed flawlessly and the french A-roads were a great surprise. I thought they'd all be like the M4 but turned out they were just nice dual-carriage ways like the A505.

As I'm getting married next month both my fiancee and my dad were fretting about this trip - 'you don't want to be on a bike when there are frenchman around, they'll knock you off' etc. etc.

How wrong could they be!? I covered around 1500 miles (door to door) and not once did I see a french driver without a seatbelt or using a mobile phone! On the autoroutes they view the outside lane as an overtaking lane ONLY. They indicate BEFORE changing lanes and continue to indicate until past the slower vehicle(s) - at which point they rejoin lane 1

They also understand that just because they are indicating to change lanes DOESN'T give them carte-blanc to actually do it. They are simply requesting to join someone else's space.

In fact, there was only 1 car that I had 'trouble' with (near Le Mans) and, yep you've guessed it, HE WAS ENGLISH

Now don't get me wrong - I not suggesting that the french should still be allowed to self-govern. I'm merely saying that their drivers are a pleasure to be on the roads with. I might, of course, change my mind if I ever have to drive Paris!

What a shock to the system to rejoin English roads from Dover. I had gotten so used to polite, civilised drivers that I spent the return leg to Cambridge swearing at the idiots and morons that inhabit our roads!

The french have 2 lanes (predominantly) and it works beautifully - we have 3 (and sometimes 4) lanes and we simply can't make it work. Lane 1 is for lorries, lane 2 is for women with wobbly steering wheels that have to be held on with a vice-like grip and lane 3 is for reps travelling at 71 miles an hour that don't want to be seen in the same lane as women. FFS

I am convinced that 90% of all road users are not nearly qualified enough to use a motorway.

And why can't any english driver blend? If I'm closing on you in the outside lane at, let's say, 50mph+ (hypothetically) then just blend into lane 2 in that MASSIVE gap between the 2 cars you're trying to overtake and you'll never see me again. You won't even need to change your speed JUST MOVE OVER You also won't lose your place in lane 3.

OK, rant over - but it does wind me up something chronic. Bare in mind that it is french holiday season at the moment and yet I was still able to cover Bordeaux to Calais in under 5 hours. So much more civilised having a speed limit of 130 compared to our 70 don't you think
Old 07-16-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jinjer,Jul 17 2006, 06:56 AM
just nice dual-carriage ways like the A505.
I would never describe the A505 as nice ....... not since they put up all the cameras

... swearing at the idiots and morons that inhabit our roads!

I do this every day on my way into work.

Sounds like you had a good trip. Photos?

Old 07-16-2006, 11:20 PM

Totally about the french roads and standards of driving.

We go over at least once a quarter. Club Class on the Shuttle means you can show up and get on the next train - and the same on the return, makes for an easy start.

From Calais we belt down through France and stay over somewhere pretty - eat and drink very well and then belt home.

It's an absolute pleasure - and nothing like driving in this country.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:29 PM

Sounds like you had a good trip. Photos?
I couldn't fit the camera on the bike unfortunately (it was taken down to the villa in a friend's car). There are photos from Virsac on my usual photo site though ...

www.jinjersnaps.com
Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 PM

I noticed this too.. was impressed, especially the clear overtaking lane and indicate throughout the overtake.. kinda got into doing that myself.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:16 AM

The opinion was the same when we got back from the Bridge Trip. Although Sylvie didn't believe us
Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now go to Paris and see if your opinion remains

I actually think it's the Germans who can drive the best, but I do like driving through France. It tends to be the English who annoy in France...
Old 07-17-2006, 01:26 AM

I actually think it's the Germans who can drive the best
I disagree. The germans & belgians were almost as scarey as the brits on the french roads!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:28 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chilled,Jul 17 2006, 10:16 AM

I actually think it's the Germans who can drive the best, but I do like driving through France. It tends to be the English who annoy in France...

Why are the Dutch permanently stoned? Not a clue what they're doing, so they drive verrry slowly.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chilled,Jul 17 2006, 09:16 AM
You can't tar the whole of France with the same brush as those manky Parisians

I think if you look at the accident figures the French still probably lead in the mad nutter b@satrd stakes, but this isn't what you see day to day driving on their motorways and A roads. Was more then impressed by their driving etiquette whilst on the bridge run and overall I'd say they have far more motorway awareness then the Brits.

Quick Reply: Best Drivers in Europe?