UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

bel 550

Old 08-03-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bel 550

got myself a used bel 550. installed it and everything is setting it off. driving past petrol stations, driving through town and my mobile phone! ive tried it in city mode but that has had little effect on the false signals. the country is set as the uk too.

does anyone know which bands should be switched on in the uk and which one shouldnt?

i have heard u only need to have K band coverage in the UK, is this right??

Teb
Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 PM

anyone?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

K band is the one but you will get false alerts everywhere in the UK (if my Snooper is anything to go by - I turned off the radar facility on this and just use laser & GPS now).

I don't think radar traps are a problem in the UK, there are omni present gatso's and truvello's (but you would need to be blind not to spot these without a detector), however a GPS based sensor is useful for warning of SPEC's systems which are not so obvious. Most mobile speed traps here use laser technology so a laser detector may be useful, although it won't give you much warning because the lasers are only turned on when you are actually being targeted.

Unmarked police cars using VASCAR (a totally undetectable device) are the thing to worry about. Local knowledge of where these operate is the only way you are going to spot these. Sometimes they work in tandem with a marked car also (if you see a marked car travelling on the M'way at just over the speed limit don't overtake it!).

In short, I think radar detectors in the UKare a waste of time IMO.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:06 AM

ive also got an origin b2 so that covers me for the fixed ones. i have set the unit up for the uk and it seems as if it has k, ku and ka bands switched on but like u say i had read that radar is being used less and less and k is the main threat here.

how do u find the laser detector? has it saved u at any time? ive got laser detection on the orihin but ive been told they are crap compared to dedicated detectors.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:09 AM

Gatso's use K band energy. But so do traffic lights and door openings (well some of them)

Give me the list of what bands are available on the bell and I'll do some research (I know a few Electronic Warfare Officers who helped me out with false Laser alerts on my Snooper, turned out to be the sun !)

I'll do some digging in the mean time.

If you place it on city mode and only have K band selecteed then that should do the trick (if you can do that on the bell?)

Jev
Old 08-04-2005, 12:17 AM

Have a look at the second paragraph, that should confirm what I said above.

http://www.phantomplate.com/tech3.html
Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 AM

I also have a bel and mostly leave it on 'city all' mode which means it beeps once when it firsts finds a signal but doesn't start going too crazy until the signal reaches a certain level.

As for which bands to use I haven't changed mine at all but like you say loads of things set it off which is why I don't use it all the time. Mine has a built in laser detector (I think mines a 650) which has saved me a couple of times.

You can also silence it by pressing the third button from the left (if its the same) which is handy if you've already seen the threat and don't wanna listen to it beeping!

HTH
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tebs,Aug 4 2005, 08:06 AM
ive also got an origin b2 so that covers me for the fixed ones. i have set the unit up for the uk and it seems as if it has k, ku and ka bands switched on but like u say i had read that radar is being used less and less and k is the main threat here.

how do u find the laser detector? has it saved u at any time? ive got laser detection on the orihin but ive been told they are crap compared to dedicated detectors.
The laser detector has occasional false alerts, but not too many. Its never "saved me" though (people travelling the other way and flashing their headlights have on occasion though!).

I find the useful thing is that the GPS facility shows me what the speed limit is (I'm never too sure about that - if speed cameras really where about limiting speeds and not generating revenue you'd think they woud have the speed limit clearly displayed on the back of them wouldn't you?)
Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by phase_k,Aug 4 2005, 09:35 AM
You can also silence it by pressing the third button from the left (if its the same) which is handy if you've already seen the threat and don't wanna listen to it beeping!
do u use the audiomute function on it if ur unit has it??

jevon i`ll post the bands up when i can find a list of em. cheers
Old 08-04-2005, 01:47 AM

Yeah I think thats the function, when it starts beeping I look around for the camera and check my speed, when I have seen it and know its not a problem I press the third button from the left (can't remember what it says on it?) and it silences the unit until the next alert.

Quick Reply: bel 550