UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The 'Beater' Concept

Old 07-27-2005, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone wants a cheap second car check out City Car Club (google search will find it for you)......
Old 07-27-2005, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by zero_to60,Jul 27 2005, 12:34 PM
It will depreciate more or less at the same rate and still costs the same to tax and insure....
Not COMPLETELY true.

We all know the S2000 is more sensitive than most cars to mileage when it comes to resale since so many are used as nothing more than weekend toys. And higher mileage is going to cost you more when you come to insure.

If I did a lot of miles in the week, I would buy a beater without a shadow of a doubt. I made the mistake of hacking up and down the M6 every weekend for 12 months when I had my 02, meaning I put 30,000 miles on it in less than 18 months and then took a hit when I came to p/x it as a result. As it is, I commute into Manchester by train and the car very rarely comes out of the garage other than at the weekend.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 AM

Lets face it, beaters are good in some cases, but I use my S as a daily drive and its fine. I however dont leave it in dodgy places and would not want too. Thats when I take the mrs CTR
Old 07-27-2005, 04:23 AM

S is fine for a daily drive, but it won't take my "weeks holiday" suitcase on the way to the airport, a really huge supermarket shop (there's always online shopping!) and once last year I had to avoid work due to ice.

I don't have a beater, but if I had spare cash I would buy something purely for really heavy rainy days, and times I needed bootspace (only once or twice a year so far!)

Luckily I don't have to leave the car in public car parks, except for the station an din leafy surrey it seems fairly safe, and it's not often. If I had to drive into a town and leave the car ,however, it would be a different story !
Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by ian220574,Jul 27 2005, 11:48 AM
Lets face it, beaters are good in some cases, but I use my S as a daily drive and its fine. I however dont leave it in dodgy places and would not want too. Thats when I take the mrs CTR
.. my missus has an 04 vectra dti for 'beater duty'. My commuting involves parking at work and yes i've picked up a few knocks but if i'd had a beater and used it i'd barely use the S at all.. i'd rather use it and it pick up a few knocks than it sit in my garage pristine and barely moving.. having said that for some people who park daily in rough areas the S is not a viable option..

swings and roundabouts?

the drive to work can be frustrating though, i often run into Vtec Inhibiting Environment....

ie.. twatty traffic where volvos go into the fast lane then pootle off.. .. or heavy rain..

Old 07-27-2005, 04:33 AM

I've got a 70 mile round-trip at work currently, which is mileage I really don't want to put on the S.

Because Rebecca takes the BMW to her place of work, which is the opposite direction to mine currently, I'm looking to get an additional car.

I don't necessarily want a beater as such, as I'll need to go well on the motorway and keep me entertained. Currently, therefore, I'm thinking of a Lupo GTI.

Thoughts?

Not worried about driving this more than the S, as it will keep the S 'special'.

I don't necessarily want to keep the miles down for depreciation reasons, but just to reduce the risk of dents, dings and the eventual accident.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been so long since I last drove my S, that I forgot where my garage was, last night.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My company car serves as the beater
Old 07-27-2005, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Jul 27 2005, 12:40 PM
My company car serves as the beater
My S is the beater, it's a company car

Haven't built the 'special' car yet though........
Old 07-27-2005, 07:37 AM

Beaters are a great idea, very happy I have the option.

Commuting in the S is dull, to much traffic and therfore I get angry as I want to get passed it all. However in the beater I only have a 1.1 engine so no chance of overtaking so I just hold people up

Cost me

Quick Reply: The 'Beater' Concept