UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Balmer Lawn Honda Garage

Old 02-11-2004, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balmer Lawn Honda Garage

Before I owned an S2000 I had a Lupo GTi. To cut a long story short i went to Balmer lawn honda garage to test drive a S2000. The guy asked me how old i was, have i checked the insurance quotes. I am 21. In the end the bloke said no, If you want i can let you test drive a civic type r. I said no I don't want to buy a civic type R i want to buy a S2000. He said you will have to book a test drive another day! So i phoned up and booked a test drive. Next day the same sales man came with me on the test drive. He said he will drive it 1st then let me drive it back. He didn't really say much about the car and i had to ask questions to get info about the car. Anyway I went else where and purchased a Silverstone S2000. Privately.

I have just booked in my S2000 for a service and arranged with the sale guy to have a civic type r as an extended test drive whilst my car is being serviced. They said i could have the car for two hours whilst the S gets the 27k serivce and an MOT. Just got a phone call back after the booking buy a different sales guy, the same sales man i had for the test drive of the S2000 saying the can't let me have the civic after all.
Now after making me feel like i wasn't worthy of test driving an s2000 they wont let me have an extended test drive of a civic type r. He asked how old i was. Then said they would have to come with me due to the cars insurance group and he said its Performance!

so i said don't worry about it. I asked to be put back to service department. I asked how long the service takes. they said 2.5 hours with a wash inside and out. (27000 service
Old 02-11-2004, 03:42 AM

perhaps he thinks it's your Dad's car?? and you'ze are his lickle son wanting to be a test pilot
Old 02-11-2004, 03:43 AM

Shocking. Can't belive you even wanted to go back for a service. Are those Lupos any good? Always thought they looked like a little pocket rocket
Old 02-11-2004, 03:58 AM

Tell them that'll you'll post to S2KI. This made my local dealer change attitude noticably to the extent that he ordered two striker plates (to alleviate hardtop squeeking) when i mentioned that this was a solution quoted on this forum.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:01 AM

as time goes on s2ki will become more and more powerful
Old 02-11-2004, 04:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is shocking, both from an attitude and a service point of view. When will these garages learn?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my sons Celica goes in for a service they cant/ wont let him have a courtesy car as he is only 20

He went to view a new 350 a few weeks ago and asked if he could get a test drive and they were fine , but they would need notice so they could arrange special cover for him . No problems , they treated him just as they should .
Old 02-11-2004, 04:14 AM

Dealers !!!!

Have been refused test drives in the past when I was younger. You will always invariably take your business else were.

In terms of the S and R, I could see an issue with the insurance as most insurers won't touch you until you are 15 and it is much the same for the trade.

Try walking into any Subaru garage and you won't get a test drive in a WRX if you are under 21 or 25 on an STi
Old 02-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Banned

I think the guy was dumb to put you off the car in the first place, could of lost a sale on that one but because of your age your going to get this.

Have to agree with the dealer on the Civic Type-R though - if you just got your S2000 why would they be interested in letting you drive their Type-R for a couple of hours? Your not in the market for a car anymore so it would be a pointless exercise for them.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by supers2k
Dealers !!!!

Have been refused test drives in the past when I was younger. You will always invariably take your business else were.

In terms of the S and R, I could see an issue with the insurance as most insurers won't touch you until you are 25 and it is much the same for the trade.

Try walking into any Subaru garage and you won't get a test drive in a WRX if you are under 21 or 25 on an STi
EDIT - I think they may want you to be over 15 to test drive an S or an R

Quick Reply: Balmer Lawn Honda Garage