UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Baffled sump

Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffled sump

For the track enthusiasts. In particular Dembo who has fitted a baffled sump to his S I believe.

Have any of the trackies on here had issues on track for NOT having a baffled sump fitted whilst running non track biased tyres?

Obviously the scuppering of the oil feed here is dependant on cornering G's and so I'm wondering if anyone has suffered any ill effect whilst running on less sticky normal road biased rubber?

Also anyone had any ill effects from running track rubber without baffles in the sump (I know Chilled has run track rubber in the past as have a few others).
Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Moved.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 AM

ime you will be fine on normal and road legal slicks (888s etc), but as soon as you go intermediate or all out slick obviously the chances of starvation are increased....

Not too much help, but you should be fine!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's more important just to keep the oil well topped up on the day.

I know PJL killed an engine on a trackday, but of course you can never point at a reason with any certainty.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as our engines are longditudionally mounted, it's not the cornering but the braking.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks Willf, sounds like a reasonable rationale. So you reckon it isnt possible to pull enough lateral G on R888, A048 etc to cause starvation?

Dembo, you could well be right with the longditudanally mounted block; I suppose it depends where/how the oil pickup is located. Is it located fore/aft of the sump; ie front/rear?

Can I ask why you fitted a baffled sump Dembo; Was it because of knowing that hard braking the S can cause oil starvation? Obviously Spoon have developed this part for a reason; Maybe purely for racing cars running racing rubber?

I'm tempted to fit one just to be on the safe side as I've read that just a few seconds of starvation can be enough to knacker an engine?

Anyone else shed more light here please; racers, track dayers, people who know about such things

Cheersies
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 AM

The standard sump does not have any form of baffling and several engines have suffered catastrophic failures due to oil starvation from the oil pump when cornering hard on right hand bends.
It is particularly important you should have a baffled sump if you intend to track the S2000 or intend running
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM

I agree the Spoon or Mugen baffled sump will cost
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I defer to biker1's technical knowledge

But I had no problems with oil on my sticky rubber (A048R). I did always keep my oil topped up though.

I took the "gambler" approach that no baffle is less to go wrong. The more components in any system, the more likely a failure of one of those components.

Bear in mind I had an 04 that barely ever used oil, despite being run hard.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Its also worth considering getting an oil pressure gauge - as if you decide to baffle or not, without one you will only tell the pressure has dropped when its too late!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks Chaps; Good info.

I think I'll fit a baffled sump. I can't see it causing issues as it's just a few baffles in the sump, no moving parts etc; or am I missing something here?

Dembo; How long have you had yours fitted and has it caused any side effects?

Quick Reply: Baffled sump