UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

bad expensive news :(

Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah those engines have been sold now. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Bill , if you land up with a 2nd hand lump I would be interested in your failed engine , drop me a PM
Old 05-25-2014, 11:49 PM

Keep in touch with integrastella as well. He seems to be a trusted trader of engines.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:25 AM

I've spoken to integrastella, he has a 2002 80k engine for sale. I'm looking for a 2004-06 engine.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I genuinely feel your pain! For my 2p, get it is worth waiting for the right engine from a trusted supplier (avoid Dewsbury Auto Salvage like the Plague). Good luck with the search and getting the car back on the road.

If you need an opinion or any help drop me a PM, I've been through the same thing recently and may be able to give advise
Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey81
personally if mine goes and its just the crank/rods i will look at getting it re-built. It may cost a bit more but then its a freshly re-built engine instead of an unknown quantity.

i know the block is the issue but as long as your not touching bores i don't see why a re-build is any different
Have a search on here and the wider internet and see how many articles or threads you can find regarding successful F20C rebuilds and you may well change your mind.

It's generally accepted that once they're broken, they stay that way. I know this because I did the research before I replaced mine.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 AM

I spoke with Peter from Thurston Engineering today and from what you've described it is almost certainly an engine out/rebuild.

I asked him for a ball park figure to remove the engine and inspect it and he suggested 4 figures just for this (also mentioned that they see very few Honda engines as they as so well built - little consolation for you I know).

He has suggested calling the boss at Thurston's, Colin Baldwin/01277 362135, who he say's would be more than happy to talk through your problems and give you some advice/etc going forward.

Hope this is of help to you and you get back on the road asap.

Paul
Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Rebuild it mate..

I have been exactly where you are now and ended buying another used lump from a member on here..

Whilst it ran OK I was still paranoid about the lump as a was always conscious that it wasn't new which is not the feeling you want to have after forming out allot of ££

In the end I sold that one in because I was going for a big turbo set up so totally rebuilt mine..

Did the whole lot for under 2.5k full sleeved block with all new rods, pistons bearings and pumps..

Done over 2K in the newly built engine @ 485whp and it hasn't use a drop of oil or ever smoked.

If you want true price of mind then rebuild the engine as you never know what you're going to get with a used engine..

If you want help rebuilding it let me know.. Also check out my build thread for info.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who rebuilt it and turbo charged it?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Funtimefrankie
Rebuild it mate..

I have been exactly where you are now and ended buying another used lump from a member on here..

Whilst it ran OK I was still paranoid about the lump as a was always conscious that it wasn't new which is not the feeling you want to have after forming out allot of ££

In the end I sold that one in because I was going for a big turbo set up so totally rebuilt mine..

Did the whole lot for under 2.5k full sleeved block with all new rods, pistons bearings and pumps..

Done over 2K in the newly built engine @ 485whp and it hasn't use a drop of oil or ever smoked.

If you want true price of mind then rebuild the engine as you never know what you're going to get with a used engine..

If you want help rebuilding it let me know.. Also check out my build thread for info.
Hi Frankie,

Yeah i'm looking at all my options and think rebuild with darton sleeves seem the way forward. I need to SORN the s and buy a new daily now, which means i won't be able to enjoy the s over summer! I take it you used http://www.cambridge-rebores.co.uk/ for the rebuild.

Now time to look for a banger to drive! Yaris or ek civic lol

Quick Reply: bad expensive news :(