UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

bad expensive news :(

Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what I've read the f20 doesn't respond well to being rebuilt. TGM advised a new engine as rebuilding has a high failure rate. he said the head was very clean and didn't look abused at all. he said he felt sorry for me lol
Old 05-25-2014, 08:30 AM

I've got a contact at Thurston Engineering/Ongar, who might be able to offer you help/advice over and above TGM.

Will have a word with him at Brands Hatch tomorrow.

Paul
Old 05-25-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by curren1963
I've got a contact at Thurston Engineering/Ongar, who might be able to offer you help/advice over and above TGM.

Will have a word with him at Brands Hatch tomorrow.

Paul

that would be great!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why has it had three oil changes in six months?

I too know the pain of engine failure, so you have my full sympathy. Forget about rebuilding; buy a replacement and get a 0% credit card.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo
Why has it had three oil changes in six months?

I too know the pain of engine failure, so you have my full sympathy. Forget about rebuilding; buy a replacement and get a 0% credit card.

1st oil change, when i got the TCT refurbed, 2nd for when i got the ballade TCT and 3rd at tgm.

i'm currently searching for a new engine but most people don't seem to be replying, probably because its bank holiday weekend.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:36 AM

personally if mine goes and its just the crank/rods i will look at getting it re-built. It may cost a bit more but then its a freshly re-built engine instead of an unknown quantity.

i know the block is the issue but as long as your not touching bores i don't see why a re-build is any different
Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really hope you get thisbsorted with minimal hassle. understand the pain... my clio dropped a rod while on the way to the hospital with the wife...

Spoon do engines, whole, bottom and top... they may be able to help also look out for jap spares! there was a write up last month in banzai about swcond hand performance paets for jap cars as theyre being written off... company takes off all the good parts and sells them on....

You may well find an s2000 with a very sore arse that can donate its engine.

good luck though and hope to read of more positive news soon.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Just out of interest (probably gonna show my ignorance now), but if it's just 'con-rod bearings' then I assume the bores are not damaged.

If so is it not just a case of replacing the bearings/shells, but if the crankshaft is damaged then it would need re-machining, and the same for the piston if they've been bent (so I'd guess you'd need to possibly machine the bores to match the repaired/new pistons).

It doesn't sound like it's an engine out job if the pistons are OK, although working with the engine in situ is always the least ideal situation.

As I said, my knowledge of engine re-building is somewhat limited and hopefully someone will be along soon to correct me/confirm what I've just said/provide further input.

Paul
Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

There were a couple for sale on here recently

Get one you can hear running or from someone with a rep like MB (who was flogging one)

Good luck fella
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Do not buy an engine from Dewsbury! Knowing what Paul went through with his car get an engine from the forum. Look back in the for sale ads from a few weeks back. And get tom to fit it.

Quick Reply: bad expensive news :(