UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bad day out....

Old 03-19-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day out....

Lovely day outside and I spent this morning cleaning the car
So I talk Steph into a trip over the A537 towards buxton.

Just got back. Didn't even get as far as the pub at the top. Only got about 2 miles out of macclesfield when we hit traffic. I knew pretty much as soon as I saw the traffic that there must have been an accident. Steph is a qualified first aider thingy so off she went. Eventually a police car turned up and turned the traffic back and shut the road.

A biker had hit a corner too quick and locked up hitting an oncoming car. He thinks he hit the car with his shoulder, destroyed the wing and dash and smashed the window. Right mess. Bike didn't look too bad. The guy was 25 and only picked up his leathers this morning probably saved his life. Damage looked like broken shoulder and couple of ribs. The air ambulance turned up after 30 minutes.

There were 2 other accidents further down the road one of which was pretty serious.

Put me off a bike again
Old 03-19-2005, 07:42 AM

I had a bike coming towards me round a corner flat out this afternoon. His back end twitched pretty bad and I thought.. ooohhhhhh shiiiiiittt! luckily he recovered it - coulda been nasty otherwise
Old 03-19-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will never have another bike, i got hit by a transit van once and it has not got me back on one on the road yet, will have a play on farm land but never on roads.

Was in hospital for six weeks and that was enough of a decider for me to keep off them. that and the
Old 03-19-2005, 08:35 AM

On the Codicote road this afternoon, 2 bikes overtaking a car coming towards me, on myu side of the road.

The second bike back saw me, and went for it completely in my side of the road - a little too close for comfort for me, and nowhere I could do and nothing I could do about it.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:00 AM

There was a cop program on last week about the cat and fiddle road, not a very safe road by all accounts, but it made me smile when an elise came round a bend and got his rear out just as the cop was going past.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went onto the Elise board when it was on. The guy is fed up with it being repeated.
Seems he had been racing the Ducati for a fair bit before the bend.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:15 AM

I saw that program too - bet the guy in the Elise was kicking himself!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the sensible thing... ... "yes officer I was an absolute tool."
Old 03-19-2005, 09:58 AM

I might have to try those lines next time i'm stopped by the law, better than the you should be catching real criminals line, that never works.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:43 PM

Of course this is bad news for anyone involved in the accident, particularly the biker.

Some of you may know I'm a keen motorcyclist, having ridden them for 30 years ( only been driving a car for 28 ) and try very hard to ride to the conditions, within the law, but at the same time enjoy the roads and the performance of my bike. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous, no getting away from that, but the risks can be reduced if you don't ride like a complete knob (we've all seen them and evidenced earlier in this thread) I suppose a lot of my own self preservation comes from many accumulated riding and driving experience, and that automatically tempers the use of the throttle and the taking of risks when inappropriate. Lets face it modern bikes have amazing performance, and therefore you don't really need to make that risky overtake, just hang back for a few seconds, then use the performance....etc....etc. Its mostly the inexperienced or adrenalin junkies that get scraped off the road, only rarely is the accident the result of just bad luck.

In my opinion the turkey in the elise (allegedly with his rear end out) is equally as dangerous as the biker (the subject of the thread) the difference being the motorcyclist will always get hurt if he get's it wrong.

As for the cat and fiddle, I don't see the attraction of riding an acknowledged dangerous road, when inevitably you will meet mr Elise or mr ninja getting it wrong and on your side of the road Far better quiet roads around, and without the enforcement

Safe riding / driving

Quick Reply: Bad day out....