UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Baby seats and passenger airbag deactivation

Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give it up man - sell the car!!

Unless you enjoy shelling out hundreds of pounds taxing/MOTing/Servicing/Insuring a car you never get to drive, this particular dream/early mid life crisis is over!!!

I've just sold mine for the same reason, and am now on the look out for a Diesel Mondeo Estate!! It's actually quite liberating. I'm genuinely looking forward to owning a car that I don't continually worry about and don't feel I have to wash every time it rains.

I'm looking forward to owning an S sometime in the future, but for now, my money is going on baby sh*t from ebay, and holidays in the Isle of Wight. I might even save up for a caravan!!

Accept your destiny!

cb
Old 06-12-2007, 05:29 AM

wow.you is bitter and twisted..etc...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soulcrew,Jun 12 2007, 02:29 PM
Old 06-12-2007, 08:29 AM

Do what I did. Sell the S. Run a 4-door and then buy another S in two years. I missed my Honda too much! Carter is now 2 and will not be a passenger in the S2000 for at least another couple of years.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Dox

Destinity, I'll live the dream a little longer, Ive got a brand new Mondeo Diesel estate on the way (Company Car) as the Avensis estate D4D is almost dead after 103K in two years.

I only asked the question about airbags as my mates Alpha 3.0 GTV (Nice car but bits fall off and it squeks) has the option to turn off the airbag.

If I sell the S now I could never jusify buying another in the future. I have had all the jokes about buying a one seater maclaren etc and survived. All family and friends, saying haa you will have to sell the car now as you have a baby on the way/child.

I guess what I need are more throwbacks/Justification to give to jealous family and friends.

Its my toy and as long my child does not go without I'll keep it.

Selfish Dox
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by soulcrew,Jun 12 2007, 01:29 PM
Not at all my friend! I could have afforded to keep the car and buy a 3rd, and I had the thumbs up from the boss, but decided to get rid. I've got enough stuff kicking around the place that never gets used without adding a sports car to that list!

For me personally, I decided it was too much of a money pit for something I would rarely be able to enjoy with my wife, and never enjoy as a family.

Good luck Dox, I hope you can still get out plenty, and it continues to be worth keeping

cb
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM

6 weeks until due date and I am keeping mine.

With one other pratical car there is no need to get rid.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 PM

Four weeks until due date and I'll definitely be keeping mine. In fact I actually bought it specifically to take the wee baby out for early morning spins before discovering the airbag issue.

I'll be using a company in Windsor to fit a switch soon after he/she arrives and will post how I get on. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to avoid taking a baby/child out in the S, especially as it has brakes, suspension and tyres that are lightyears ahead of anything that cars had when I was growing up. Assuming you take it easy (especially in the wet!) I'd say it'd be a treat for a child of any age to go cruising in the warm summer evenings with the hood down, even those children in their mid-30s!

Can't wait.

Ali
Old 06-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Dox

This thread shows that the S2000 owners are a fertile bunch of well educated individuals.

I agree with alibee, the S2000 is a very safe car http://www.euroncap.com/tests/honda_s2000_2002/121.aspx
if its driven safely!!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 AM

I have been thinking about this recently. My lad is now 9months and about to start nursery, so there is the possibility that I may have to drop off/collect him on occasion. I would have the wife's car on days when I knew in advance I was going to do this but was wondering about if/when she gets unexpectedly delayed when she was due to do it.

Interestingly my manual doesn't have that section! Just says no kids under 12!

I had wondered now that he has a forward facing seat if it might be ok, looks to me like it is. May investigate one to keep in the car just in case. I was all ready to look at other cars until I did the sensible thing and checked here

Of course I still have an issue if I come to work on my motorbike on a day when my wife gets delayed...

Thanks all... the power of the search is revealed!

Quick Reply: Baby seats and passenger airbag deactivation