UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Automatic car wash switch re-location.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Automatic car wash switch re-location.

This weekend's car-irritation session involved finally installing the '02 dash-mounted headlight washer switch.

The wiring is what you'd expect, two thin ones for the light and two thicker ones for the control unit switching.

I had to bring a new loom back from the centre console, behind the foam rubber thing around the gear lever, through the middle of the H-bone and hoiked it out from under the SRS controller, using a pair of forceps! Then it was straightforward to run it to the new switch.

The controller is already under the dash, but breaking into the existing looms is not really feasible.

The console and dash switches now have a nice symmetry and are more ergonomic.

And no more cold showers tiggered by unwitting passengers.

Special thanks to S2uk for supplying the switch & blank.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that must be me your thanking> glad you got it so quick as well.

any good at other wiring? i have all the bits needed for a glass screen demister and have no idea of how to wire it up.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:25 AM

Hi!

Yes sorry, dyslexia rules KO!

I was surprised when it arrived Saturday morning. Has the kite turned up yet?

I should imagine the HRW's all just plug n' play, but I don't actually remember seeing a spare connector near the handbrake. I'll check the wiring diagram.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,May 16 2005, 12:25 PM
Hi!

Yes sorry, dyslexia rules KO!

I was surprised when it arrived Saturday morning. Has the kite turned up yet?

I should imagine the HRW's all just plug n' play, but I don't actually remember seeing a spare connector near the handbrake. I'll check the wiring diagram.
as my car is a 2000 it does not come with any wiring connectors in, what i did was strip tintops old car from where the hard top wiring loom connects to all the way to under the dash but then it went into a big socket so i had to cut the wires at that point.

its rather hard to explain what i have but all wiring that comes with the hard top i have, black rubber groment plug in thing switch that sits in centre consol for rear screen demister, then the stuff thats wired into the car which some of it goes back to a earth in the boot with a relay i have all that and then three wires whcih go to the front of the drivers side so if you could see what the wiring diagram shows that would be great.

no kite has come as yet but i am sure it will arrive tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:38 AM

Hmmmm, that was NFU!

Apparently the car doesn't have a HRW!

I'd be happy to help, but I might need a more up to date ESM!

Old 05-16-2005, 03:51 AM

Ah, that makes some sense, 'cause mine has nothing like that either!

Right, I'd imagine one of those three wires is thicker, takes the power from a fuse to the switch via the relay.

The other two will be thin, and they illuminate/dim the switch. The earth for the whole caboodle is as you say, anchored somewhere more convenient.

There is a spare connector on the under-dash fuse block, that is live with the ignition, as a power source. We'll need an in-line fuse and a spade connector.

If I'm right about the illumination, they can be spliced into one of the centre console switches' lights. The amperage is minimal.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fraser,
Have a quick look behind the passenger side rear panel. As you know I have mucho experience of rear panels etc

When I was there, there was a plug/socket in the loom. OK mine is an 01 so you might not have it in the loom but worth a look see. Just DON'T BREAK ANYTHING
Old 05-16-2005, 04:51 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did this a while ago - one of the best mods I ever did !

Please post details of the rear demister switch wiring as my summer project is to change the 00 hood for 02 hood.

Thanks

Bharat
Old 05-16-2005, 05:36 AM

I have taken the rear panels off and i have no such socket/plug, i did take all of this from tintops old car so its just a case of finding out how it all wires up.

I am guessing nobody has done this as yet so it will be a first, i just dont like having something not workign and if i fit a new hood which is in the plan i want the whole thing to work as its intended.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 AM

If all else fails, we could test the loom with a 12v supply and a multi-meter.

The soldering's the easy bit!

Quick Reply: Automatic car wash switch re-location.