UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Aus Intake Extensions now available.

Old 10-17-2002, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This maybe a very dumb question but I still need to ask it. Can someone tell me the diiferance between the Aus Intake that uses the stock air box and lets say an AEM CIA that does not use the stock air box. From what I can see they both do the same thing. Am I wrong?
Old 10-17-2002, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... I can't even picture the AEM off-hand but many of these CAIs which by pass the stock air box are basically a tube of uniform diameter which goes straight into the engine intake manifiold. Because you don't have the expansion area of the stock box and the water trap divider, I would think there's little doubt they would be more effective. Because you're excluding the stock air box though, I would guess your dealer wouldn't be too impressed with the mod.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the tip Mark.
I don't know why I missed CC's group buy. But I've managed to get an eleventh hour order in. I'm gonna go for Blue if it's MC Blue or red if not.
I've also plumped for the headrests & some muz mats.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:22 PM

Thank Cedric. So what your saying is they both basically do the same thing, but the Aus Intake keeps the integrity of the engine.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:27 PM

That's my take on it Jimmy! Before I get flamed too much though as I said, there are systems which will do it better no doubt, but they're for the more adventurous among us. I'm sure that like me you could return your car to stock in less than 2 minutes.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

From my understanding the AEM style intake picks up air from the chamber in fornt of the front right wheel. You can cut out the faux duct on this side to ensure as much air as possible reaches it, but it's still not a ram air intake.

My thinking behind this design (albeit inspired by Spoon) is that when I look under the bonnet I see this great big air box designed by Honda to extract as much power as possible out of 2L's. It has a water/debris trap, and a tuned resonator (opening on the right corner under the air filter). Honda no doubt put a whole lot of work into this and I'm sure as hell not going to toss it out in favour of a shiney pipe. The warranty is another consideration also.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JimmyB
[B]How much is your console cover in Blk.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:36 PM

Thanks Wayne. All I can keep saying is WOW! The performance increase is just awesome. I let a friend drive it this evening, he had driven it before and he also was extremely impressed. Again Thanks for a great product. Well worth the wait
Old 10-18-2002, 11:12 AM

Well I managed to slide away to some back roads this afternoon to check the CAI at full belt and as I suspected, it's just made great acceleration even better and smoother, with a throatier sound at wider throttle openings. Very very . The increased ram air benefit is very obvious when you're really ing!

The most spectacular and welcome difference though is driving in slow traffic. My Friday night commute is the worst of the week with it being POETS day for everyone. Tonight was no exception... nose to tail! The difference now though is that there's no surging or hunting from the engine. No slipping and dipping the clutch as you ease forward in traffic to ease out that lumpy engine tickover you get. At stationary the car feels like it stalled, smooth as silk, quite happy and not a visible tremor on the gear stick. In fact even on slight inclines, I found myself easing the car forward just on the clutch with no revs at all., and all very smoothly.

Total and very welcome transformation. The moral is get yourselves a CAI. Without wishing to sound too partisan to Aus S2000, (Which I probably am) ANY intake, but get one, this car is crying out for it.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:19 AM

Cedric,
I had to take mine into the Honda Dealer to get the window regulator replaced. While there they opened the hood and really liked what they saw. If they only knew how great an addition this CAI is they would probably want to sell them. I just kept my mouth shut. My question to you is did you have a real WOW! while on the back roads?

Quick Reply: Aus Intake Extensions now available.