UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Aus Intake Extensions now available.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would appear that the problem with water being sucked up into the engine would me minimized because if the use of the oem box. Is that the case. What do you do with the center divider in the airbox and the internal air duct?
Old 08-30-2002, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock air box does indeed give very good protection against water ingress IMHO, largely due to the the centre divider you refer to. I'm not sure what you mean by internal air duct. Do you mean the ducting that comes off with the air box lid and points the airflow to the opening at the top of the centre divider? If so, it will remain in place and still continue to perform the same fuction, though somewhat better, as it will have the benefit of more ram air once the car is moving. The quality of the stock air box always impresses me compared to some of the flimsy offerings on other cars.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:31 PM

What would happen if the air duct on the inside of the top of the box was removed and an opening made in the center divider.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:54 PM

I'm not sure that I can see any gains in doing that with this installation although I know of people who have removed the centre divider completely usually to accommodate other CAI systems. Some systems of course dispense with the stock air box altogether. On the subject of water ingestion whilst we should be concerned about it, I don't see this being a real problem short of hitting deep standing water at any speed, or starting the engine with the air intake under water.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:11 PM

Thank you for you input and recommendations. I will probably order one based on your comments. The one positive is that I don't generally drive the car in the rain. It was a 50th birthday present from my wife and I mostly use it on the weekends and short work days.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:25 PM

I think this one is particularly good value for money Jimmy and it's no hassle to fit. I spend far too much of my time in the urban snarl up which is where I expect to see a real benefit just in throttle response due to the colder air. If I gain a few bhp out on the twisties, well I wont be too cracked up about that either. :
Old 08-30-2002, 02:44 PM

Cedric, I may just have to add a modified throttle body just for kicks!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:56 PM

Hooligan!

Way to go! LOL
Old 09-01-2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Sorry that was a little misleading. You will have to either remove the plastic top plate in front of the rad or cut a hole in it to accommodate the CAI. My top plate has been removed since my air horn install so no biggy for me. Shouldn't be a problem anyway.
Cedric, with your plastic top plate removed, do you find that it gets grimy under the bonnet at all? I lift the bonnet every week to check the oil and clean away any grime but just end up staring at a clean engine bay (I've not driven over a winter though) - just wondered if the plate helped keep things clean? TIA
Old 09-01-2002, 03:32 PM

No, it's clean as a whistle under there. I do have a fine mesh grill fitted so I don't know if that makes any difference. In fact my air horn trumpets which are just behind the grill also stay remarkably clear of crud.

Quick Reply: Aus Intake Extensions now available.