UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Audio help needed, please, from

Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio help needed, please, from

I'm loking to replace the standard Head Unit. I've got the Honda Ipod interface but it's a bit limited - it tricks the HU into thinking it is attached to a CD changer. It can only see 7 playlists and it can't play albums that aren't in the playlists unless a track happens to pop up on shuffle.

So I'd like decent Ipod connectivity (5g video Nano or iPhone 3Gs) plus a front USB to play from memory sticks and a 3.5mm input so I can use a Sony MP3 I've got. Not bothered about Bluetooth. Would like Iphone 3Gs to charge via the unit, though.

Lots of people seem to run Alpine stuff. Can someone who knows what they are on about tell me if this lot is ok for what I want please?

Alpine IDA-X313 http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ida-x313.html

Dash control thing http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ict-29-629...ol-adaptor.html

Radio link http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/inca...e-adaptor.html

Will this lot do the trick? Is anything missing?

The Alpine IDA-X311 is a bit cheaper - is the 313 worth the extra? What's the difference between the 311 and the 311RR? All a mystery to me!

Thanks - I've never bought new car audio kit so have very little idea about this. Anything else I should consider or need to know?

Cheers all,
Dave
Old 05-15-2010, 10:06 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

At a quick glance it looks about right.

RR means the display is red.

The 313 has a better amplifier and it's easier to add an external Amp and Subwoofer should you want to.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 PM

Hi Dave,

I recently installed a new HU into my S.

I installed an Alpine CDE-102Ri HU, which has iPod connectivity, plus front USB and Aux.

To control the dash board controls, I then bought an Autoleads PC99-X61 adaptor with the Autoleads PC99-ALP patch to get everything working – It's works great.

The ones you posted are probably the same things but simply by a different manufacturer. I would check on eBay first though to see if you can get the adaptor cheaper. I bought mine there for £18 inc. P+P

Once you have everything, the kit is easy to installed. New modern stereos are simply plug and play. The hardest part I found was getting the darn stereo cover off!

Best,
Hon
Old 05-15-2010, 11:46 PM

off topic-ish but has anyone built an exhaust fan at the back of the unit? My Alpine would always stop working during long euro trips due to the heat of the tunnel. Would come back to life once it cooled so I assume Alpine has a heat cut off built into it.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dash controls might be worth looking at the modifry unit. i know people on here say that not all models of dash controls work with the s2000; the modifry unit seems to be the one people always refer to.

@nick: are you using an external amp, or driving the speakers from the headunit? not that i have any specific info, but afaik if you run ext amp then that takes the load off the HU and it runs cooler since it's not using the built-in amp...
Old 05-16-2010, 12:13 AM

sold long time ago now but it wasnt the HU getting hot it was heat transfer from the transmission tunnel. always failed after 3 or 4 hours of serious mile munching. Tended to only happen on the Euro jaunts due to the average speeds achieved.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Going to go for the Alpine 313 unit.

Do I need a separate cable for full speed iPod access? (Alpine KCE-433iV)

What is "Imprint"? I see this all over the Alpine details.

Anyone dealt with Car Audio Direct before? The prices are good and the website slick, but any first hand usage would be interesting.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 AM

i've used car audio direct loads of times, very quick delivery and never had any issues with em.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by pballs,May 16 2010, 05:33 PM
i've used car audio direct loads of times, very quick delivery and never had any issues with em.

Cheers for that. Ordering now!

Taking Honsta's advice and getting some of the ancilliary bits off eBay - way cheaper for cables and things.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

You can get free delivery from S2kUK http://www.s2kuk.com/s2kuk/Benefits/Suppliers.php?cat=4

for Imprint see here https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=756881

and here http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/produc...s/pxa-h100.html

Quick Reply: Audio help needed, please, from