UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Audio Advice - Which speakers Front & Rear (+maybe in Roll Hoops) + Installation Help

Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Some good door install photos here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/930...t__p__21619260
Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My issue with the rear sub was that when on road trips with the missus, the boot is often rammed with clothes, shoes, hairdryers and the other assorted junk that women take on holiday. At that point I wouldn't be able to hear a boot mounted anything.

I could ask her not to take so much stuff but that usually means she goes through my bag and asks if I can ditch anything. Given I only pack a few T-shirts and a pair of shorts anyway, that doesn't normally get us anywhere.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by GaryB
My issue with the rear sub was that when on road trips with the missus, the boot is often rammed with clothes, shoes, hairdryers and the other assorted junk that women take on holiday. At that point I wouldn't be able to hear a boot mounted anything.

I could ask her not to take so much stuff but that usually means she goes through my bag and asks if I can ditch anything. Given I only pack a few T-shirts and a pair of shorts anyway, that doesn't normally get us anywhere.
Whilst it's better with a bit of space, I find mine works very well indeed, even with a pretty full boot - most of what you "hear" from a properly set up sub is more of what you "feel" so as long as it can vibrate, all is well.

On the rare occasions that I do need to remove mine (as it takes up so little space), I just tell the HU that there is no sub, and let the excellent front components handle all the bass - it still sounds great, just not as great as with the sub fitted. That's the real reason for my advice - start from solid foundations.

My main recommendation for lots of stuff is to get bags that fit into the tool well (regular 58cm bags work a treat). With the tools removed (and wrapped up inside the spare wheel), you can get two of those down there, leaving a flat boot space for other bags/ancilliaries.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 AM

I currently have my amp in the space saver cavity and when we go away, every possible gap is filled. Even things stuffed under and behind the seats.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by GaryB
I currently have my amp in the space saver cavity and when we go away, every possible gap is filled. Even things stuffed under and behind the seats.
I can only suggest a new Missus then...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by GaryB' timestamp='1334774505' post='21620380
I can only suggest a new Missus then...
It's taken 16 years to train this one to the stage she's at. I'm not starting again from scratch!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 AM

Wow !!! Some great responses & tangents explored there gents

I'm in a bit of a rush at work, so sorry I'll have to do a full response later.

Just a quick question as its something I've only recently learnt - my stereo only has x1 pre-out - would this be an issue?

Again thank you for all the comments, links & help so far
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by BledS2k
Wow !!! Some great responses & tangents explored there gents

I'm in a bit of a rush at work, so sorry I'll have to do a full response later.

Just a quick question as its something I've only recently learnt - my stereo only has x1 pre-out - would this be an issue?

Again thank you for all the comments, links & help so far
I've had a look at the manual and the 1 pre-out will be an issue as that can be set to either "Front" or "Subwoofer"

It wouldn't be the end of the world, as you'd send a full range "Front" signal to your 4 channel amplifier, and let the amplifier act as a crossover between fronts and sub.

You'd still be able to use the HU's internal amp should you wish to add "rear" speakers at a later stage.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:35 AM

Ok - so unless I was looking to do imaging as you've discussed then I shouldn't really have any problems?

I just need to make sure that the 4 channel amp I buy has the 2-1 option for fronts & a sub?

Just need to select components & an amp now

A lot to learn
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by BledS2k
I just need to make sure that the 4 channel amp I buy has the 2-1 option for fronts & a sub?
Yes, that's correct. Most do but make sure, just in case.

Quick Reply: Audio Advice - Which speakers Front & Rear (+maybe in Roll Hoops) + Installation Help