UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ask me another question about detailing

Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What towel should I buy for drying the S?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, thanks Lee for taking so much time to reply to everything thats thrown at you.
I have never been keen on the details until reading some of your posts.
Now, I dont have a great deal of spare time but I do actually now own claybars, MG QD, MG Polish, poorboys interior, Collinite and some selection MF towels
Wow, simply does it for me but waxing with Collinite after a claybar session is ten times the finish I ever got from Autoglym.
No surprise I hear you mutter....

Thanks again - I now understand the attraction.
Steve.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bled, I would usually not recommend any DIY for scratches, the main reason being how difficult it is to get right plus the amount of time and patience. If you do decide to do that anyhow then I would suggest the Honda
Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Lee. They're out of stock though

Is there any that you would recommend on this site? I find them really good and the accept paypal (I have money sat in my account!).

http://www.detailedobsession.com/catalog/i...2876f87830eee4a

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Xd

A lot of detailiers get on well with the Sonus drying towels. I have personally never used them but I would certainly try them first before the Meguiars towels.

I am currently in discussion with Alex about some new towels that he is getting in, they are very similar to the Monster MF Fluffy towel I occasionally use, which I have found to be fantastic but rarer than hens teeth. If I can get these sorted I will set up a group buy for them.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

More pics of the NSX, TM!

PS - what's good at cleaning alcantara?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Banned

As your working away, you get light splatter on the rest of the panel. If you leave this on, it ends up going hard, and possibly swirling the paint when you clean off ?

When your machining the car, how do you deal with this spatter, do you leave it ? Wipe it off as you go ? Keep everything covered except the area your working on ?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Xd

if you are getting splatter then you are either using too much product or you have not primed your pad properly or you are whacking the speed up too soon. The pad should feel slightly damp but not wet. It will expand slightly as it becomes more absorbent. If you get splat then QD it and wipe off immediately.

Apply two skittle size blobs of compound, press pad against paint work and wipe over working area. Switch machine on starting at no 1 and cover area evenly, take it up to two and work for at least 30 seconds. Then 3 then 4 then 2 then wipe once clear.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Banned

So you get no splatter at all, im not talking big blobs all over the place, its like a fine residue over the surrounding area.

I tend to keep the pad quite dry, and apply a light mist to the pad as needed.

shoudl i keep the pad wetter, and not wet the pad during the process ?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Xd

Pad should feel slightly damp, i.e. become more absorbent. Its a bit like the drying towels, they don't become absorbent until they are slightly damp.

To prep a new pad spritz it a couple of times then knead it with your hands gently to work the moisture in.

Quick Reply: Ask me another question about detailing