UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ask me another question about detailing

Old 06-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jun 28 2008, 08:05 AM
Best method for removing wax residue from black plastic trim?
Just spent four hours detailing a porsche turbo, he's a regular customer who is extremely fussy. Anyway seats were greasy, they are a matt finish by default and they were going shiny. Best method to start cleaning is vacuum our from every crevice then a hot towel. buff off any remaining then some conditioner and leather sealer.

Gad, I have found the best one to be duragloss wax eraser, any good online detailer should have it.

Nine, toughy really;

a) Zymol Concours kit for around
Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Jun 28 2008, 07:53 AM
Puppy I currently have someone helping me out but if she is unavailable at the time I can give you a shout Expect it to be a long day between 8 and 10 hours, some cars being over several days.
I would hate to ruin a car

And i work a 12 hour day mon - fri most days any way..

But let me know, im sure i can tkae a day off
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Xd

Its physical work puppy, no sitting at a desk

I do all the machine buffing, my helper works on preparing everything ready for me.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Banned

Can i come watch you and yoru helper

Ill make the tea
Old 06-28-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Jun 27 2008, 10:46 PM
What are you using a rotary or a ROB?

I keep a mix of products depending on car, humidy and condition of paint, the best all rounder is Meguiars but as it is oily you cannot mix with with water. Menz you can, in fact if you are using a ROB you can wet cut. You are getting on to difficult territory S2ook, I will need to know more about what you are using and what you are using it on. Every car I do is different including S2ks. Megs though is always a good start though.
I was using the SSR2.5 with the ROB on the S although I will give it a go with a rotary too at some point.

I've always found the Megs the best all rounder but always start with Menz because when it works, it's the best IMO. Unfortunately, on a bad day it's worse than the experience had with the SSR by far. I've always ended up using Megs for winter because of this.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Xd

Menz is a very good polish if you catch it right but its such a fine line, it does run dry quickly so the occasional spritz helps it along. Megs has the advantage of oils to lube so it does not dry out quickly but that can mask defects.

ROB's are usually straight forward but SSR2.5 does need to be worked longer to the point where there seems no more left on the paintwork, dusting should appear. The art seems to me not too little, not too much. Feel the pad every few times it should feel slightly but evenly damp. There should be no swelling where polish was applied. If there is any next blob should go on a dry bit. Work out any gunked up bits with a short bristle brush. Maintenance of the pad between application will help with cleaning and kneading until it is properly working.

I have had better luck with the rotary, it has the advantage of heat so dries out nicely as it is being worked.

Listen to you pads and get a feel for them, Meguiars yellow polishing pad I find the most talkative.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 AM

TM, are you entering the JAE best f show this year?

I don't use the Megs pads. I currently have LC, SFX and Menz but none seem to be very talkative of late...must be the weather! I've gone back to #80 on the S rather than the SSR as it does seem to provide enough cut (certainly for mine) without any problems.

On another note, do you use snow foam as a prewash? I bought a Hosecoil Suds Blaster a couple of years back but never got the results I wanted from it so I bought a Karcher K5.55M yesterday from Focus (35% off - bargain!) and can't wait to get a foam lance...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Xd

Probably not, spent most of my time being anti social cleaning my arches. Might be judging though

Weather does certainly have an affect on compounds, Megs 80 is always a good bet, it will cut for longer than SSR before breaking down which is great for rotary, on ROB though it need to be worked for quite a while.

Foam Lance, great fun

They are useful but work better if you have a good wax to help make your car non-stick. Still worth a purchase though. K5,55M is a good PW, saving up at the mo for a hot water one, possibly leasing a kranzle 130 Therm;

Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
dug

hello just wandered if you would recommend dodo wax? also how much do you charge for the full treatment? thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Interior???????

I have a pretty groggy carpet is there anything your would recommend to clean them, I guess something that I can find in my local halfrauds or autofactors?

And

My red leather is cracked up a bit and i would love to know if there is any possibility to bring it back without having to change the seats or retrim?

edit to also ask the same as above...

Cheers buddy

Quick Reply: Ask me another question about detailing