UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ask me another question about detailing

Old 06-16-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats cool, thanks! I thought EX-P was a sealant though? Should I put a a couple of coats of this on or get something else to go on top before applying wax?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How and with what do I clean the inside of the roof?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Xd

Inside?! Problem you are going to have is most products need to be rinsed off thoroughly which will not be an option without getting the interior wet. I would suggest starting with some hot soapy water and a lint free cloth, if that fails then some Meguiars APC diluted 10:1. The APC has worked fine on my beige sofa so I would have not hesitations on the inside of a vinyl roof.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Xd

Originally Posted by Spykee,Jun 16 2010, 08:55 PM
Thats cool, thanks! I thought EX-P was a sealant though? Should I put a a couple of coats of this on or get something else to go on top before applying wax?
I would suggest you go ahead with the EX-P then apply wax on top.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Lee,

Honda UK have asked to borrow Y1 for the weekend to display at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

I am of course very excited about this but have a concern regarding keeping the car looking good through the weekend without messing up the paintwork (which you have worked so hard to get in the condition it is in today).

I am currently unsure precisely where the display will be, but the car will be there for 4 days and will inevitably get dusty each day. What would you suggest:

a/ by way of pre-preparation for the event (a good wash and a new layer of Japon?)

b/ to clean the car at the start of each day?

Also, could you recomend a quick and easy way to spruce up the engine bay / front compartment please? I have in the past cleaned both with careful application of water from my pressure washer (electrics protected with plastic). Specifically can you recommend a product I can spray on/run engine/wipe off any excess which which wont remain sticky / attract dust grime / look shiny or blotchy and crap?!?

Thanks in advance for your help & advice.

Ian
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Jun 18 2010, 10:12 AM
Inside?! Problem you are going to have is most products need to be rinsed off thoroughly which will not be an option without getting the interior wet. I would suggest starting with some hot soapy water and a lint free cloth, if that fails then some Meguiars APC diluted 10:1. The APC has worked fine on my beige sofa so I would have not hesitations on the inside of a vinyl roof.
Smashing - thanks! It's just looks a bit grubby now I've spent 3 hours on the rest of the interior
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 AM

Whats the best thing to remove scratches from Glass by hand? my drivers side window has some superficial marks
Old 06-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Xd

IanL Always a good idea to stick another coat of wax down before the event. I would clean the car each day, possibly inside and out, there may well be some sticky fingers. So, wash mitt, shampoo, drying towels and plenty of quick detailer.
I have always found Meguiars Hyper dressing diluted 4:1 does the trick and it gives a natural finish but brings out the colour;

Trick is to spray it on, leave to half an hour then wipe off any excess. I have not found it to be sticky if you do this and it gives lasting protection.

cupracing Sorry I have found nothing that can remove scratches from glass. I have uses Zaino’s glass polish in the past though for getting rid of really fine marks in the glass.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the advice Lee.

A couple of additional questions if I may?

Is there an engine bay detailing product you could recommend which I am able to buy in volumes of less than a gallon (4 gallons when diluted!) please?!

I am unsure what the supply of water will be like where the care is displayed....when you are washing a car 'in the field' how do you rinse it off when you have limited volumes of water available?

Ta!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Xd

Sounds to me as though Goodwood could do with a high level mobile valet company with onboard water and electricity who can manage and maintain a collection of cars to keep them in tip top condition. Such as Extreme Detailing

Okay, you need Meguiars Hyper Dressing. Dilute this 4:1 and it will be fine for the engine bay, trim and tyres.
For rinsing the car I would use some de-ionised or bottled water and use a pump spray such as the Hozelock sprayer.

Quick Reply: Ask me another question about detailing