UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ask me another question about detailing

Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh that will be fun, around eight hours of labour.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I was quoted about
Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Dec 15 2008, 01:49 PM
So, what is everyone up to with their cars ATM?
I need some paintwork on various parts of the car - a wheelarch, rear bumper and a bit of door

Am thinking I might just get the bottom half done, less the front bumper

What would really help is if a tailgater rear ended me

Then there are the painted trims around the window that are notorious for oxidising, but are apparently relatively inexpensive

I'll also need to get the wheels refurbed and at some point I'll get round to fitting a new windscreen

Failing meeting a helpful tailgater, I will get it all done in the New Year and that would be a good opportunity to give the car a total going over

The car has over 90K on the clock now and it deserves a treat

You might be interested in that job?

At least the interior is pretty unmarked
Old 12-15-2008, 06:32 AM

oh i forgot i wrote all that - maybe give it a goign over at xmas - any pointers or advice on what i put on my 'list'
Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a clean car related note I used RainX a couple of weeks ago. works a treeat on the motorways above 60 you just don't need wipers. Even on the M25 on Saturday I was doing an occaisional wipe when overtaking lorries other than that the water was flying off the screen, very hyperspace.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Xd

Steven, that
Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Dec 15 2008, 04:19 PM
Gad, what car are we talking about?
my beemer - carbon black
Old 12-16-2008, 03:14 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Dec 15 2008, 01:49 PM
So, what is everyone up to with their cars ATM?
Well, after giving mine a hard time in the gravel trap at Oulton, I've got some gravel rash to touch up at the front bottom edge of the offside rear wheel arch, also on the sill weld just in front. It seems to be down through the paint, but must have a coating on it still, as it didn't corrode straight away.

The wheel's also scratched up and is finally persuading me to get the whole lot refurbed after the winter. The problem will be finding some cheap wheels to put on whilst the others are away! I need to figure out what finish to get too, as I like some of the anthracite-type finishes that other people have got. But I also like the diamond cut top. Plus, with a Moonrock car, it'd look a bit dull without the shiny wheels!

Once I've touched up, I need to give it a decent wash, seal and wax, as it hasn't been done for a couple of months. But I need some new products, as I'm getting a bit low. It becomes a little difficult in winter though, as it's parked on the street and gets a bit chilly!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tango, what are pre wax cleansers? Seen these on a few websites but notice that you don't mention them in your first post so wasnt sure whether there is any point?

At the moment I'm looking at getting some Poorboy's EX-P and then going over that with some Meg's Gold class for a nice deep finish.

Is this approach any good? Not sure whether it'd be worth me tackling the swirl removal and glazing stage for the time being as you recommend doing it over a few days if by hand...how much hard work is it done this way?

I don't have a garage to work in so dust build up on the car would mean a wash each time before carrying on I'm guessing?

Also, would you still say Duragloss 301 is still the best stuff to use on the hood?

Cheers
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Xd

Pre wax cleansers non abrasive paint cleaner designed to safely remove contaminants and oxidation remaining on the paint. They also have optical brighteners in them to enhance the paintwork. If you are not machine polishing then I would say these are a good move after the claybar. I have used these a number of times on the light coloured cars with good success, EX-P is a good starting point although it is a cleanser/sealant so it does both. If you are doing things by hand then I would suggest using EX-P followed by about three coats of sealant finished of with a wax.

Quick Reply: Ask me another question about detailing