UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Arrghhh Speed Cameras and Motorbikes

Old 08-25-2003, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrghhh Speed Cameras and Motorbikes

After watching the news this evening, it confirmed to me that the campaign for introducing Speed cameras in Lincolnshire / Notts is completely scewed.

There were 3 fatalities this weekend in Lincolnshire. 2 of those were motorcyclists and the other was a motorist, in an accident not caused by excessive speed. In Lincs / Notts they like to advertise how many fatalities there have been on the 'roads' this year and last. I would really like to further understand these stats to find out a) where were the accidents and b) were they motorists or motorcyclists.

I really believe that a high number of the fatalities are motorcyclists. With that in mind, how can the govt / local councils / Police force justify the 'Safety cameras' that they use?

For example:

1) SPECS - Foward facing
2) Truvelo - Foward facing
3) Mobile units - Foward facing

and errr Gatso's, hardly seen these days, are the only ones that catch bikes!!!!!!!

This really pi**e* me off. It is extremely unfair. Whilst driving back from Bakewell on the A6 over the weekend, notorious for speeding bikes, I was overtaken by hundreds of bikes, came around a corners and a police transit van with a tiny drop down opening on the rear with two tiny cameras pointing out the back, ready to catch more motorists and ignoring the fecking bikes. Luckily I was well under the speed limit, because it was busy. I was stuck at 35 in a 50 and got overtaken by bikes doing 60-70. Oh and they were exempt!

Old 08-25-2003, 02:08 PM

If you can't beat 'em join 'em?

Apart from an even higher revving engine, is this not another reason to learn to ride on two wheels?
Old 08-25-2003, 02:26 PM

The A2070, my route to work, is a notorious weekend biker deathtrap. Currently no cameras - just a heavy police presence (it has a police station either end). Once got pulled doing 80+ in a 60 limit and was told 'slow down a bit, I'm trying to catch bikes'.

Still rather deal with a copper rather than SPECS etc!
Old 08-25-2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by moff

.........and errr Gatso's, hardly seen these days, are the only ones that catch bikes!!!!!!!

This really pi**e* me off. It is extremely unfair. Whilst driving back from Bakewell on the A6 over the weekend, notorious for speeding bikes, I was overtaken by hundreds of bikes, came around a corners and a police transit van with a tiny drop down opening on the rear with two tiny cameras pointing out the back, ready to catch more motorists and ignoring the fecking bikes. Luckily I was well under the speed limit, because it was busy. I was stuck at 35 in a 50 and got overtaken by bikes doing 60-70. Oh and they were exempt!

Take it from me, as a motorcyclist you are just as likely to be pulled / nicked for speeding. Lets face it if you are exceeding the limit in any inappropriate location, you take the consequences! ( and yes I have )

However, the fact that you might get nicked should not alone be the deterrent. Most of us like to "make progress" but I consider most speed limits are reasonably appropriate to their given location ( I accept there are some absurdities to this) and common sense should prevail?

Don't feel aggrieved because the bikes "got away with it", just consider them to$$ers for what sounds like their inappropriate speed, and feel smug as you pass them at the petrol station ( typical bike does only 100-160 miles between fill up's)

PS Mines a 178mph Blackbird
Old 08-25-2003, 10:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moff
[B]It is extremely unfair.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by euan
If you can't beat 'em join 'em?

Apart from an even higher revving engine, is this not another reason to learn to ride on two wheels?
*Ding*

Not all bikes are high revving though.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
[B]
Old 08-26-2003, 01:09 AM

My problem is that as more and more cameras go up, more and more traffic police are being taken of the road and being used to fight other crime (this is happening in Notts). SPECS and other cameras are to be used to 'look after' the roads. But these do NOT work for bikes. It really annoys me that a biker can (and they do) cruise past me in a 40 SPECS zone at 60-70mph. They are never any traffic police in these areas anymore.

It is a disgrace. There should be a fair system to catch both bikers and motorists