UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

APEX lowering springs

Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APEX lowering springs

I'm thinking about getting a set of APEX lowering springs to fit to my S. I use it as a daily driver and do have to negotiate several speed bumps on the way to work. I have never lowered my s2000 before and it is still set up as stock at the moment so i am just wondering how it would cope with speed bumps. i believe the springs lower the car by 30mm?

also if anyone has had experience with these springs and can either recommend them or warn me off that would be great!

Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of depends on how high and steep and short the speedbumps are... no 2 speedbumps are the same in this country so it's a bit hard to answer that one

Might be worth stopping your car on the highest one you can find and see how much clearance you have
Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had any problem with speed bumps. It's only the people with silly stuck on bits of plastic that do.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is -40mm on coilovers with the pre facelift OEM front lip. To date the only place I have issues is getting out of the car park at work as it has a rediculous ramp that is rumble stripped and has a kerb you have to go up first. I have to reverse out of the car park to get around this

Everywhere else I have been ok so far but it is probably extremely close. Measuring ground clearance under the front lip I have 90-95mm. On my old S I lowered it -30mm on coilovers and that sat 110mm off the ground with the MY04+ OEM lip. Legal height limit of speed bumps is supposed to be 100mm from what I've read so dropping your car 'should' be ok only going 30mm although it has been known in some counties for speed bumps to be a lot higher than what they should be.

I know the clearance doesnt make sense if my new S is only 10mm lower than the old one but has up to 20mm difference in clearance but the bumpers are different shapes.

Hope that helps

p.s. don't forget you'll need to get your geo done as at the least you'll have toe out, which on the back is like having a roundabout crash barrier magnet!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spykee
Mine is -40mm on coilovers with the pre facelift OEM front lip. To date the only place I have issues is getting out of the car park at work as it has a rediculous ramp that is rumble stripped and has a kerb you have to go up first. I have to reverse out of the car park to get around this

Everywhere else I have been ok so far but it is probably extremely close. Measuring ground clearance under the front lip I have 90-95mm. On my old S I lowered it -30mm on coilovers and that sat 110mm off the ground with the MY04+ OEM lip. Legal height limit of speed bumps is supposed to be 100mm from what I've read so dropping your car 'should' be ok only going 30mm although it has been known in some counties for speed bumps to be a lot higher than what they should be.

I know the clearance doesnt make sense if my new S is only 10mm lower than the old one but has up to 20mm difference in clearance but the bumpers are different shapes.

Hope that helps

p.s. don't forget you'll need to get your geo done as at the least you'll have toe out, which on the back is like having a roundabout crash barrier magnet!
Well I was thinking about getting my geo set up with a fast road set up so thats why i thought about getting it lowered. Get them both done at the same time! :-)