UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone using the Bel Euro 550 Radar/Laser Detector ?

Old 07-30-2002, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sick of getting false alarms from my Uniden detector.... traffic lights, security systems etc... all using X band frequencies that the UK forces don't use for speed detection any more.

It seems that the Bel Euro 550 Radar/Laser Detector has a "Country Select" feature that enables you to make the device sensitive only to the bands in use in the country in which you're driving - hence getting rid of false alarms and making the unit worth-while. It has also done really well in all the tests I've been able to find

I get so many false alarms, I tend to ignore my beeps, even though I try to discipline myself not to.... which makes my unit almost useless

So, for those of you using the Bel Euro 550, what do you think of it? Do you get false alarms at all?

Pete
Old 07-30-2002, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, have been using the 550 Euro for a while now - have found it to be very good. Minimal false alarms. Friends have "upgraded" from the 990, its predecessor, and claim the 550 has far fewer false alerts.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:50 AM

Hi Pete,

I got a Bel550 last weekend (and a SLD diffuser and Raod Angel!!). So far, I'm pleased with it. In my 45mile trip to work I get 2 false alarms. One outside a BP petrol station, one outside work. Both of these are on the K band. The sensitivity can be reduced further when driving in town so that you are not alerted to weak signals.

You're right about selecting different countries and I believe you can even deselect individual bands yourself (but I'd need to check that to be sure).

The unit is reasonably small (smaller than the Road Angel) and comes with a number mounting devices.

I would recommend it, but to be fair, I have not owned any others, so have nothing to compare it to.

I bought mine from these people http://www.speedtrapdetectors.co.uk/ , cheapest i could find.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:53 AM

Pete,

I have had a few false alarms, but most of them are when I pass BP garages, and a Porsche garage on the A4 Chiswick.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by NeilW
I bought mine from these people http://www.speedtrapdetectors.co.uk/ , cheapest i could find.
Thanks for the help everyone.... Neil I ordered one today from your recommended place; should be delivered tomorrow

Pete
Old 07-30-2002, 03:07 AM

Pete, is there now anything (except an Uzi machine gun) that you haven't yet had fitted to your car to beat the speed traps

I was driving along the A1 towards Finchley on Friday, and some (very) kind soul decided to paint the lens of a Gatso - Superb!
Old 07-30-2002, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by JamesM
Pete, is there now anything (except an Uzi machine gun) that you haven't yet had fitted to your car to beat the speed traps
No Although I am looking at a chaff releasing system that I spotted in an RAF surplus sale
Old 07-30-2002, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by JamesM
I was driving along the A1 towards Finchley on Friday, and some (very) kind soul decided to paint the lens of a Gatso - Superb!
I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often - it seems such a simple and easy solution, not that it can be condoned of course.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by AlexC
I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often - it seems such a simple and easy solution, not that it can be condoned of course.
Of course, but I did laugh and popped straight into my nearest Halfords for a can
Old 08-01-2002, 05:55 AM

Received my Bel Euro 550 Radar/Laser Detector today (24 hours late, but never mind).

It says in the manual that I should fix it to the windscreen or on to the dashboard but that it should not be in direct sunlight

Found that the power socket is on the opposite side to my Uniden unit and there is no slack in my hard-wired cable to reach. It's six inches short

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Bel Euro 550 Radar/Laser Detector ?