UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone know of anyone breaking a driveshaft

Old 04-29-2003, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know of anyone breaking a driveshaft

going home yesterday in the rain I broke traction quite suddenly and just as suddenly regained it again.....there was a fairly loud bang from the rear as the wheels bit again.....no obvious damage but I thinking that kind of thing must really stress the driveshafts
Old 04-29-2003, 06:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wesmaster broke a drive shaft at the drag strip. Mind you, he was dropping the clutch at 7500 revs in a supercharged S. Something was bound to give.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:07 AM

Something similar happened to me last week. I accelerated away from a set of light at full throttle when suddenly a hug bang cam from the rear. I crapped myself! I thought something must have broken...I went back to the exact same stretch on road and noticed a small gap and then a downward slope between the road partitions. I tried my mates car on the very same stretch using full throttle and got the exact same bang only not as loud.

I think it's when the wheels lose traction for a mili-second and then grip again - very frightening though. I went home that day and got under the car to check if anything looked odd. Everything was fine.

HTH
Old 04-29-2003, 06:11 AM

N4S....thanks for that...I was concerned that going from zero grip to full grip must strain the driveshafts to buggery....just as well there isn't too much torque going through them at 5000revs
Old 04-29-2003, 06:18 AM

You must admit, this car makes you sooo paranoid! People think I am too anal about my car! But hey I love her!
Old 04-29-2003, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that one of the features that Honda heavily checked on the design of the S2000 was to make the drive shafts meaty enough...as I remember reading somewhere???

I had a 1.0L Micra that managed to break a half shaft...but it was the size of a pencil lead.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:21 AM

me too N4S....guys at work say I am mad having a two seater car with a family but hey this is my hobby as much as means of getting from A to B
Old 04-29-2003, 06:52 AM

I know how you feel buddy.

The very first mod I did to the car was to change the emblems to red - I stayed up half the night reading this forum and plucking uo the courage to go ahead with it!

BTW, have you done the airbox mod yet?
Old 04-29-2003, 07:07 AM

still not sure about it....not sure if I will ditch the airbox or not...does it really make that much difference?
Old 04-29-2003, 07:13 AM

1 - throatier noise at VTEC
2 - Better acceleration

Those are the main benefits. PM your details and I'll send you some of the trim I used to cover the cut partition and also a photocopy of the Spoon instructions.

Hopefully, next year, I wanna change the bonnet to the Amuse carbon fibre and get the Mugen CAI. I should be getting the Amuse dual titanium exhaust soon - I hope!

The sound is supposed to be similar to the HKS only deeper and very light!

Quick Reply: Anyone know of anyone breaking a driveshaft