UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone had problems with front wheel bearings?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone had problems with front wheel bearings?

I've noticed a high pitched constant squeaking noise coming from what i think is the left front wheel only when i'm turning right at a reasonable speed (ie circa 40mph) amd the front wheel is under a fair bit of load.

Ordinarily i'd think this was a front wheel bearing on the way out, but the noise is much more of a constant squeak than the droning noise you traditionally get from a wheel bearing on the way out.

There's no play in the wheel that i can feel, but then i suspect that the bearing is only just starting to fail.

Has anyone else had a front wheel bearing go on the S and what were the symptoms?

My car is still under warranty, but i'll need to change the discs and pads back to standard before i take it in to the dealer and i can only get the noise to happen on certain corners at a particular speed etc so sods law says i won't be able to reproduce the noise when i take it into the dealer.

The other possibility is that a pad is rubbing on the disc when the wheels under heavy load, but i've only just noticed the noise so i think its something that's just developed.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no only on the back, sorry i hope u get it sorted
Old 07-16-2008, 05:29 AM

I'm sure i will. Just confused by this particular noise.

I think its going to be a case of driving it until the noise is much more obvious before i can take it to the dealer.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

CV joint?!?

Just out of interest did you use the retaining screws on the discs? There are two..
Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k,Jul 16 2008, 02:49 PM
CV joint?!?

Just out of interest did you use the retaining screws on the discs? There are two..
Be surprised if it is a cv joint being as the noise seems to be coming from the front and is only when the wheel is heavily loaded. Nothing i do with the rear of the car seems to provoke the noise.

And yes, i did fit the two retaining screws on the discs.

The discs are DBA discs and aren't warped so only thing i can think of is that the wheel bearing is on the way out as i can't feel any play in the wheel.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Absolutley right! Don't know what I was thinking...

Agreed: a worn bearing would give play in the wheel and drone...

Constant squeak.....baffled! Bushes? Play on the Anti-Roll Bar?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to have a rear bearing replaced. I couldn't find any play in the wheel. I took it to the dealer. They said it wasn't the bearing. It was only when it got worse that I took it back and it was the bearing.

It started off as only certain corners at certain speeds then happened more and more often until it was there all the time.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Jul 16 2008, 04:27 PM
I've had to have a rear bearing replaced. I couldn't find any play in the wheel. I took it to the dealer. They said it wasn't the bearing. It was only when it got worse that I took it back and it was the bearing.

It started off as only certain corners at certain speeds then happened more and more often until it was there all the time.
I remember that and heard the noise at Rockingham. I was convinced it was the tyres though!

A few people seem to have had problems with rear wheel bearings, but no one with problems with the front, hence my post.

I've not clipped a kerb or anything like that, hence my confusion as to whether it is actually the wheel bearing.

There's not much else at the front of the car that could make that kind of noise though.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, that was a different noise! This was just before I sold the car.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the bearing is giving up then you may well have the disc rubbing those pads so very likely.
A leftfield idea - not got any loose pipes, clips, or cables in there?

Quick Reply: Anyone had problems with front wheel bearings?