UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone got a Mugen ECU?

Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got a Mugen ECU?

I'm thinking about adding a Mugen ECu to the large list of items that are already set to go on the car, does anyone in the Uk actually have on and how does it compare to stock?

I seem to remember someone having one here...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tango Man had one until recently. I believe the extra cooling mods of radiator fan switch and thermostat are a must before you fit the N1 Mugen ECU. And 97+ ron fuel is advised. I've read on the US site however, that folks have used lower ron fuel with no problems. As for performance, I'm not in a position to comment, having never owned this ECU.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by j8mie,Dec 14 2006, 10:05 PM
I've read on the US site however, that folks have used lower ron fuel with no problems.
I certainly wouldn't try this.

The Mugen ECU is part of a package and is intended to be used with the Mugen Manifold, intake and cooling mods.

It will improve the midrange, give a popping sound from the exhaust and let you use a decat without needing the 02 sensor on the decat pipe.

The downside ....

Fuel consumption will increase and you lose the OEM imobiliser.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by StevenM,Dec 14 2006, 10:46 PM
I certainly wouldn't try this.
I think TM was a bit surprised when the guy said he used a 95 ron fuel in his car with the Mugen ECU installed. However I was under the impression that the Yanks didn't get the higher rated fuels like we do over here in Europe and Japan. Could be wrong on that, or the bloke might just have been a total cheapsake

Interesting to learn that you lose the imobiliser if you chance the ECU. I'd never thought about that.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 AM

American petrol is measured/rated different to how the Japanese measure, and how Europe measure.

RON, MON and PON

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/R...RONMONPON.html
Old 12-15-2006, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bibbs,Dec 15 2006, 09:35 AM
American petrol is measured/rated different to how the Japanese measure, and how Europe measure.

RON, MON and PON

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/R...RONMONPON.html
That makes for interesting reading, I never knew that. Ta.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:25 AM
Xd

Had the ECU until recently, set up with Mugen CAI, Manifold, Decat and exhaust. Extra peak BHP was minimal, around 10, but better BHP throughout the usable range averaging 10. Car was much more responsive with better acceleration. Downside is you MUST use posh fuel as the knocking sensor has been disabled.
The ECU is a bastardised version of the stock, a number of sensors have been disabled and it has been re-mapped for the Mugfen kit.
It is designed for racing only, so no cat, lots of cooling mods including posh spark plugs and CO2 emissions that are through the roof. Your car will not pass an MOT with this on even if you have the cat installed. Fuel consumption is debatable, many guys in the States reckon its okay, I personally found I would get 70 miles less out of a tank.
Do I miss it, definitely, the car came alive with that set up, the problem is Mugging kit is expensive and I had over
Old 12-15-2006, 02:33 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not using the knock sensor is rather dangerous IMO.

MB
Old 12-15-2006, 02:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Dec 15 2006, 11:25 AM
Your car will not pass an MOT with this on even if you have the cat installed.

They are plug and play so easy to switch at MOT time.

There are two immobilisers on the UK spec. cars so loosing one was not a problem.
Not exactly correct. UK spec cars, as brought into the country have a single imobiliser that is built into the ECU. Honda UK bastardaised S2000s have a second imobiliser as part of the POS alarm that they installed after the cars were imported.

StevenM has been experimenting with these with some success
I haven't been experimenting. The car should be putting out significantly more power than stock.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:52 AM
Xd

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Dec 15 2006, 11:33 AM
Not using the knock sensor is rather dangerous IMO.

MB
Why?

Quick Reply: Anyone got a Mugen ECU?