UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone been to Italy in the S ?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Jul 4 2008, 07:52 PM
Avoid Switzerland
Old 07-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to live the other side of the Alps from where you're talking about and had my first S2000 there so crossed over a few times as you'd expect.

The Alpine roads are the most fun but the Italian side has poorer road surfaces than the French or Swiss. You can pick pretty much any mountain pass but my favourite one that crosses a border is Mont Cenis (top favourite of all Col de l'Iseran nearby).

The roads around Lakes Lugano and Como are nice cruisy roads and the ice creams are superb but if I headed back to that part of the world again, I'd be staying in the mountains.

Super unleaded is hard to come by in Italy, and petrol is cheaper in Switzerland than the surrounding countries. Carrying a fluorescent vest is obligatory in Italy but I think that might just be on the autostrade.

Happy to answer questions via PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 PM

thanks a lot for the replies guys , very helpful, will have to do some research now and sort out what to do !
Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 AM

Any trips I make that far into euroland will have 'Nurburg' as a via destination I need to go back there now I have the S.

The Stelvio Pass looks jolly but you'd be on a bit of a detour to take that in unless you fancy a roundabout route to Turin.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:20 AM

Went last year. Really enjoyed the minor roads in the "hills"! The people we met were brilliant, friendly and ready for some fun, particularly with language problems. Here is a copy of a post I made when we came back and the very usefull reply;

Headlights are used in the brightest of sunshine. I think it is the law, but with the frequency of tunnels in fact this is not a bad idea.
However this makes the dash display difficult to see. Does anyone know if there is a simple mod to stop the display from dimming, preferably with an over-ride switch for the return to the "summer" weather in GB.
The Alpine Cols are fantastic roads with little traffic at this time of year except for bikers and cyclists (both insane in their own way!!) We particularly enjoyed the Col de l'Iseran and Col du Mont Cenis south of Val d'Isere. Only saw one other S2000 in Italy. The car was brilliant although tyre wear maybe a little heavy!

press and hold down the plus botton on the dash when the lights are on.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornishman,Jul 5 2008, 02:20 PM
Went last year. Really enjoyed the minor roads in the "hills"! The people we met were brilliant, friendly and ready for some fun, particularly with language problems. Here is a copy of a post I made when we came back and the very usefull reply;

Headlights are used in the brightest of sunshine. I think it is the law, but with the frequency of tunnels in fact this is not a bad idea.
However this makes the dash display difficult to see. Does anyone know if there is a simple mod to stop the display from dimming, preferably with an over-ride switch for the return to the "summer" weather in GB.
The Alpine Cols are fantastic roads with little traffic at this time of year except for bikers and cyclists (both insane in their own way!!) We particularly enjoyed the Col de l'Iseran and Col du Mont Cenis south of Val d'Isere. Only saw one other S2000 in Italy. The car was brilliant although tyre wear maybe a little heavy!

press and hold down the plus botton on the dash when the lights are on.
If You keep the switched pushed down for a few secs longer the lights on dash dime or get brighter!!
Do you know where the secret compartment is?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Went recently

Going next year too

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=24
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 AM

A guy by the name of Nick Weall has put together an incredible picture gallery, which (believe it or not) started in Milton Keynes, and now covers many areas of Europe!

His latest venture, just finished, so it is bang up to date, is an itinery of the German Alpine Route to Italy. It is so detailed that you will need the latest versions of Adobe and Google Earth installed to fully appreciate it.

As the Americans would say: "Enjoy!"
Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dennohue,Jul 7 2008, 12:53 PM
A guy by the name of Nick Weall has put together an incredible picture gallery, which (believe it or not) started in Milton Keynes, and now covers many areas of Europe!

His latest venture, just finished, so it is bang up to date, is an itinery of the German Alpine Route to Italy. It is so detailed that you will need the latest versions of Adobe and Google Earth installed to fully appreciate it.

As the Americans would say: "Enjoy!"
Any chance of a link
Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 AM

Sorry about that!

http://www.picnixgallery.co.uk

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Italy in the S ?