UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Any advice on buying Import S2000's?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice on buying Import S2000's?

Hi Guys and Girls. I will write a proper introduction after I have got an S2000. In the mean time I am looking for any advice or pointers.

I am off to look at two different Import S2000's at the weekend and wonder if there are any extra things worth looking out for?

I have read the buying guide on here and have HPI checked both cars prior to looking at them. I am looking at the cheaper end of the market, so am not expecting a show car. Reliability is number one concern for me as it will be a daily driver. Number two is cosmetic condition, however regardless of cosmetics, rust is a big no-no. I hate rust!!! As much as I would like a facelift, I cant afford one without Galactic miles, so would rather look at a pre facelift with slightly less miles.

I had an SiR CRX Del Sol in the past which was an Import and I loved it to bits. The misses has an EP3 CTR which has been a great car, so hoping for similar reliability.

I do have basic/intermediate mechanical knowledge and will be servicing this car myself. I've bought a few cars in my time and would like to think I am shrewd and know what I am looking at, but would still really appreciate any specific S2000 pointers on things to look out for/avoid etc etc Especially when it relates to an Import.

Many thanks
Old 10-30-2015, 09:34 AM

My question would be why buy an import when there are plenty of UK spec cars available?

Afaik on an import the radio won't work, the sat nav (if fitted) is no good, it may be speed restricted, you may have difficulties getting insurance, depending on how lo git has been in the UK it may not have a fog light fitted etc etc

I'm sure others will be along shortly to add to this or correct me
Old 10-30-2015, 09:50 AM

Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't have to be an Import, just both the cars I am looking at are around my budget. I have had an import in the past (the CRX) and loved it. The Jap imports tend to run slightly higher compression so make a bit more power.

Both cars have no Sat Nav luckily. They have aftermarket radios fitted and have the rear fog light needed to pass the MOT.

This is a second vehicle for me (third of you include my motorbike) and I want to spend £4K or less so really am right at the cheap end of the market. It will be my daily driver so as said reliability is number one concern.

Even though this will be second car so I can't use no claims from my M3 or Motorbike I have still had an insurance quote of £265 fully comp which seems reasonable. That is based on it being an import
Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Old 10-30-2015, 12:37 PM

This one is a bit more than what you want to spend but I don't see how you could ever lose money on it, low mileage and also has a hard top too which you could sell separately and expect top get minimally £500 for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Honda...kAAOSw9mFWMgyT
Old 10-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2Sam
This one is a bit more than what you want to spend but I don't see how you could ever lose money on it, low mileage and also has a hard top too which you could sell separately and expect top get minimally £500 for.

http://www.ebay.co.u...PkAAOSw9mFWMgyT
That's an absolute bargain @ £4,900 or best offer!!

Either the seller is clueless as to how much his / her car is worth as it stands (probably worth more in parts) or there is something that the seller is not disclosing such as Cat C or D.

Tempted to buy it myself just to have a spare engine & gearbox
Old 10-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Thanks Sam. That certainly looks a tidy example with the added benefit of the hard top. That is over my budget, however, I guess if I was clever I could buy it then sell on the hard top and fitting kit to get it back within my budget. The problem is, if I bought one with a hard top, I wouldn't WANT to sell it!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:42 PM

I understand.. I'm sure he has just put the buy it now price up!!!!

They do come up but as always at the lower end of the market there's that bit more of a risk mines done 111,000 and I would trust it for many many more miles so you will find something nice!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:54 PM

He has just put the price up by £600!! Cheeky! Definitely completely out my budget now

Having had a few Hondas that have done lots of miles without issue, I am confident I can find one cheaper that will still serve me well
Old 10-30-2015, 02:23 PM

i thought I was going mad, that was a great value car shame that!

Quick Reply: Any advice on buying Import S2000's?