UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another seized caliper thread (yawn)

Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another seized caliper thread (yawn)

The curse of being a weekend car and the recent monsoon season has finally hit me - looks like I've got a seized front caliper. I had the usual symptoms of one unusually hot wheel that was covered in more brake dust than the others, but I also got a bit of steering wheel wobble, which became much worse when I applied the brakes - a real thumping you could hear and feel through the steering wheel and brake pedal, and there was a constant whirring/rumble.

I left the car until it was time to go home in the evening and it seemed OK all the way (about 37 miles), although I nursed it - no hooning and big stops. All the wheels were cool and no noise.

Anyway, my question is are these symptoms all in line with a stuck caliper, or does it sound like a wheel bearing could be shot too, or anything else? It's booked in to be looked at next week, but curious just the same.

Cheers,
FB
Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this problem 3 times (an 04 model). The first two occasions were on the front wheels and the symptoms were: loss of performance, a very rough feel to the suspension and of course brake dust/hot wheel. The last occasion was a rear wheel where the symptom was only brake dust/hot wheel. The first time it happened on the front I was too slow to realise what was happening and cooked the pads and disc on the affected wheel (which of course meant changing both discs and all the front pads), despite this the wheel bearings were unaffected!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a caliper being sticky.

For the cost of a rebuild kit and new piston you might as well get them both done, brakes international supply pistons and seal kits.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 AM

Thanks, folks. Like I said, it's booked in next week and whatever it needs, it'll get. I was just curious to know if it sounded like more than just the caliper.

I reckon the pads might well be cooked though. I didn't do any heavy braking to really tell, but I thought it felt a bit weak......

Cheers,
FB
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are exactly the symptoms I had on mine last year. A change of front calipers cured it. I fitted refurbished Pagid units (one of the cheaper options), and it's been fine ever since.

Mike
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

If the brakes have been seizing it can kill the pads and the discs depending on how much heat has built up. My front passenger side seized the week after i brought the car and i ended up changing both front calipers, discs and pads. Never had any problems since apart from occasional sticking caliper sliders but that is fixed with regular maintenance.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that the pads are glazed or worn on that side, and I wouldn't be surprised if the disc is damaged.

Mike - thanks.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Thats what happened when mine bite the bullet. You can even see marks on the disc from where the internal vents are.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like a warped disk along with the calliper, but don't change both front callipers for the hell of it, that's like your front door is sticking so you replace it along with the back door as well. I don't know where this change everything 'cos one day it will brake attitude comes from.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 AM

The disc has had a bit of a warp mark ever since it was fitted - didn't bed them in properly. Just took a look and it's nowhere near as bad as the pictures Mark has posted - no visible excessive damage, so I might get away with just a rebuild kit. Only Tuesday will tell........

Quick Reply: Another seized caliper thread (yawn)