UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another S2000 Review

Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another S2000 Review

Check this out....

http://cars.about.com/od/honda/fr/jf_07s2000.htm

A whiff of British Leyland from Japan

I think I may have found the perfect compromise that I've been looking for, between a classic British droptop roadster and reliable daily transportation. The 2007 Honda S2000 melds British Leyland ambiance with Honda quality. For a price of $34,845, the 2007 Honda S2000 comes with Honda's 3 year/36,000 mile basic warranty and 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty and an EPA estimate of 20 mpg city/26 mpg highway. Let's put the top down and drive.

First Glance: Roadster lust
Though S2000 is the only convertible in the Honda lineup right now, it's a relatively low-volume car, selling under 10,000 vehicles per year in the US. S2000 was introduced as a year 2000 model in 1999, and it has undergone minor cosmetic alteration since then. Why mess with a good thing?
When I look at the S2000, all my lust for a roadster comes rushing back. I love the long hood, the short back deck, the aggressive stance and the sleek lines. S2000 wears smooth curves and elegant lines that are built for speed. With the soft convertible top up, it looks great -- but drop the top and the S2000 becomes stunning. The lines work better, and the slight wedge shape of the car gives an even greater impression of speed. Big wheel wells and fender openings make room for beautiful 17" 10-spoke alloy wheels -- 7.0" wide up front, 8.5" wide out back -- wearing high performance tires. There's little adornment or design for the sake of design. No scalloped-flame body work, no chrome trim, no spoilers. Body-colored bumpers blend with the rest of the body, and even the third brake light blends in with the trunk lid. Fit and finish are tight and sharp, a step above what you'll find on an Accord or a Civic.

In the Driver's Seat: It's all about the driving

If you're used to driving an SUV or a big sedan, the S2000's low stance and driving position will shock you at first. With 4.2 inches of ground clearance, you're riding the road, almost literally. Ease yourself down into the bucket seat, and the driving position is classic sports car, with legs straight out in front. The seats are nicely designed, with great side bolstering and all-around support, even in the thighs. I'm taller than average at 6'2", and I had more than enough leg room and even ample head room with the top up.

S2000's dash board and instrument panel layout is a no-frills affair, truly designed with the driver in mind. Every control, even audio and climate, sits close enough to be operated without removing your hands from the steering wheel. Distractions like the actual radio are hidden from view, leaving a clean, clear display in front of the driver.

The gauge cluster is very modern and high tech, with a digital speedometer and a big sweeping tachometer -- but it's simple high tech, not complex or flashy.

There's a little bit of storage in the cabin, enough for a wallet and cellphone. Combined with the 5 cubic feet of trunk space, S2000 is actually a good weekender, and can haul groceries for a thin, small family.

On the Road: I want one!
If cars were only about looks, I'd be driving a Triumph TR6 or an Austin Healey 3000 mk III. I've even flirted with owning an MGB, the last and least of the Brits. I could always figure out how to manage the practical restrictions of owning a two-seat convertible, but I've never been able to come to terms with being stuck by the side of the road with a smoking electrical system. S2000 puts Honda build quality into the roadster equation, and I'd expect it to perform as reliably as any other Honda (if I treated it right).
Which brings us to the most important measure of a sports car -- what's it like to drive the S2000? Well, it's a hoot. With a 2.2 liter 4-cylinder engine that produces 237 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque, it's not blazing fast, but it has amazing character. Peak power comes high up in the rev range. You have to treat S2000 more like a sport bike than a muscle car to get the best performance. I found the light clutch and slick six-speed manual transmission easy to handle for daily driving through heavy urban stop-and-go crawls of the Los Angeles variety. Honda added an electronic stability control system as standard last year. Handling is superb, with rear wheel drive, stiff shocks and suspension and direct, responsive steering. I loved driving this car, and I want to own one.

Journey's End: The pure roadster experience

two-seat roadster has always been the Holy Grail for drivers. I'm always jealous of the freedom and the fun that roadster drivers seem to be having in the next lane. We may well be in a second golden age of roadsters right now, with a wide price range of vehicles out there to be explored.
A few thousand dollars beneath S2000's price, there's a trio of very attractive vehicles, the Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice and the Mazda MX-5. Sky and Solstice don't offer the true sports car performance that you get in S2000, but MX-5 comes really close. Drive the turbo Solstice and Sky first, then check out the MX-5.

At or above the S2000's range (in order of ascending price), there's the Nissan 350Z Convertible, the BMW Z4, the Audi TT, the Lotus Elise, the Mercedes-Benz SLK and the Porsche Boxster, all fine cars with unique, individual character. It goes on up from there into the exotic category.

S2000 is really the lazy man's way of getting the British experience. It can be your track car on weekends, and your daily driver on weekdays -- and it will work pretty well in both roles. You'll have fun, you'll look cool, and you'll get where you're going in style. For the pure roadster experience, it's hard to beat the Honda S2000.

Pros:
Reliable as the sunrise
Great control layout
High revving engine is lots of fun to drive

Cons:
Not much cargo space
Other cars offer nearly the same grin factor for less money

Bottom line:
Roadsters don't get much better
Old 12-07-2006, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"S2000 is the lazy man's way of getting the British Experience"

Is that like if you had an old british sportscar in need of restoration in your garage, but couldn't be @rsed so just went out and bought the modern equivalent?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 653 Likes on 568 Posts

you see I'm young.. and to me British Leyland is synonymous with sh1t.

but there you go, I'm sure he sees it in a different, rosey, light..
Old 12-08-2006, 12:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You're not wrong - the cars were generally out of date early in their life cycles & were appallingly thrown together.

However, they did have a sort of raw charm, like the S2000. That's why they're favoured by the Germans, whose over-restored examples look like they've just left the factory gates at Sindelfingen or Bremen!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:46 AM

Old British classics are some of the most desirable lumps of steel all over the world. Don't knock em too hard. Each time my S does something new like leak, I smile and say "almost there....."
Old 12-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

for a toy, I would take a nicely matured 100/4 over the S

or maybe with the S

in the dream garage
Old 12-08-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trinis2001,Dec 8 2006, 11:46 AM
Old British classics are some of the most desirable lumps of steel all over the world. Don't knock em too hard. Each time my S does something new like leak, I smile and say "almost there....."
True, Shame we dont really own any car manfuctuers now, or produce them.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Irv, there is a correlation between those two postulations!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by euan,Dec 8 2006, 08:30 AM
"S2000 is the lazy man's way of getting the British Experience"

Is that like if you had an old british sportscar in need of restoration in your garage, but couldn't be @rsed so just went out and bought the modern equivalent?

Old 12-08-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Dec 8 2006, 09:51 AM
You're not wrong - the cars were generally out of date early in their life cycles & were appallingly thrown together.

However, they did have a sort of raw charm, like the S2000. That's why they're favoured by the Germans, whose over-restored examples look like they've just left the factory gates at Sindelfingen or Bremen!
ahhh British Leyland
Where every day was Friday and every car was a Friday car....

I remember Richard Littlejohn being interviewed and he was talking about when he bought a house from a guy who worked in BL coachworks.

Apparantly the house had been painted using "aquired" paint and as a result the living room was British Racing Green

Quick Reply: Another S2000 Review