UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

another peril of winter driving

Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 AM

too
Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 AM

Not nice weather for traction with the S especially on the roundabouts! Majority of my 'moments' so far are roundabout related! Had a 'poo in pants' moment overtaking a learner on the inside of a roundabout all be it abit stupidly! Got to respect the S or its ass will bite yours!
Old 12-08-2005, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Dec 8 2005, 06:20 AM
Having indulged in some agressive S2KJockery at the weekend I'd strongly disagree with that. Even on my run to work I have some fast roundabouts and sharp bends, and the S is fantastic.

You need to be smooth though, and adjust your driving to how the car likes to be driven. Traction isn't a problem after that.
I agree with Bada disagreeing

I've had some great fun with this weather. All low speed stepping out & letting the car 'do its thing'. Treat it with respect & don't hoon around & its fine. I find the balance & ability to get it to do what you want without being stupid is fantastic.

Ed
Old 12-08-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a really aggressive drive this morning. Right on the limit and not a care in the world 'cos I was in our 13 year old Citroen XM diesel. It was great fun as I'm always very cautious in the S but the XM is worth about .45p and other road users better keep clear!
Old 01-14-2006, 06:52 PM

S2000 = 1, MUD = 0

I worked at a horse show in Middleburg today, one of my MarCom clients owns a gorgeous facility right on Rt. 50.

It rained last night, but the paddock (grassy fenced area for you non-horse enthusiasts) next to the indoor arena was in good shape. The turnout for the horse show was so great that many vehicles were relegated to parking there, including my 05 S2000.

Around 2:00 pm the weather turned NASTY, with sleet, freezing rain, then heavy wet snow and high winds. I noticed the footing in the paddock was deteriorating fast, so I radioed to the show announcer to get all vehicles out of the paddock and onto a solid road surface immediately.

By the time I got into my car, the entrance and exits to the paddock were reduced to think grooves of goo, created by pick-ups and duallies and horse vans and 6-horse trailers.

I drove the S straight towards one of the gates, this one with a slight incline. Almost immediately the rear wheels started spinning. I backed up, turned left and cruised towards the other end, more level but cut with deeper grooves of mud. With a running start and some spinning, I made it onto gravel with very little mud on the rear fenders and parked next to the office on solid ground.

Five or six trucks/trailers were eventually towed out by the facility's John Deere tractor, which seemed too small to pull vehicles 5x its weight through mud...quite impressive.

Allot of the guys joked with the owners of the various stuck vehicles, remarking that if a little sports car with "fat" tires on the back and rwd could drive through the mud, why couldn't they?
Old 01-15-2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by aldfort,Dec 8 2005, 05:34 AM
Can't say I've had any traction problems so far this winter but then again no VTECing either. Been driving like my handle suggests. (Got a big stone chip though ).
Ditto. Really annoying So far I seem to get another chip every time I take the car out, having said that some of the roads are covered in gravel, mud etc so no real surprise. Had to have my windscreen repaired as well from a small crack. BTW Honda do touch up paint for
Old 01-15-2006, 04:57 AM

[QUOTE=billybiker,Jan 15 2006, 11:59 AM] Ditto. Really annoying So far I seem to get another chip every time I take the car out, having said that some of the roads are covered in gravel, mud etc so no real surprise. Had to have my windscreen repaired as well from a small crack. BTW Honda do touch up paint for
Old 01-15-2006, 05:20 AM

I have Mud and snow tryes for the winter, they do seriously ruin the handling but the car is a lot safer with them (plus you can drive in snow rain and mud with impunity)
Old 01-15-2006, 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=aldfort,Jan 15 2006, 05:57 AM]About 2300 - Waiting for the warmer weather.

Quick Reply: another peril of winter driving