UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

another peril of winter driving

Old 12-08-2005, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another peril of winter driving

On my way home from work last night, I turned left onto one of the main roads back to my town and then took the left hander, which i normally take in 2nd gear just off VTEC, in 3rd but at a slower speed as I knew the road was a tad slippy. Before I knew what had happened the front end was headed for the left hand hedge and the back was over the centre white line!!!! I managed to just barely miss the hedge ( and I mean literally 1 or 2 inches) and ended sliding all over the road and into the oncoming traffic lane, before gaining control and getting back over to my side of the road. Luckily for me there was nothing coming towards me otherwise bye bye S2K and possibly me and the other driver to. How myself and my car made it unscathed I do not know. act of god perhaps?? driver skill?? (probably not!) Anyway, upon checking the road this morning I found there to be a great deal of mud on the road which had dropped from one of the lorries which turn off this same road and onto a farm. Bloody lorries. What with all the Ice/black ice/diesel/etc this is yet another hazard for us S2K owners to have to watch out for. Be careful out there!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:30 AM

Getting traction in the S in this weather seems to be similar to finding rocking horse S**t. Role on the Summer.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 AM

Can't say I've had any traction problems so far this winter but then again no VTECing either. Been driving like my handle suggests. (Got a big stone chip though ).
Old 12-08-2005, 04:39 AM

I think it's a great time of year.........................permanently sideways, and a real test of car control :-)
Old 12-08-2005, 04:55 AM

If you are very smooth, and ensure the car is well balanced, you can reduce the likelihood of these things happening.

Cold tyres will exacerbate it though - fun if you are expecting it however.

I think the answer is to always expect the back to go when cornering in anything other than a good surface on warm tyres in warm weather, and drive accordingly.

(has the bonus of being able to look semi cool when you deal with the slide rather than as if you've just wet yourself )
Old 12-08-2005, 05:02 AM

This morning I performed a turn in the road. It wasn't your a-typical 3-point turn but it did the job Other drivers were somewhat open mouthed
Old 12-08-2005, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy,Dec 8 2005, 02:02 PM
This morning I performed a turn in the road. It wasn't your a-typical 3-point turn but it did the job Other drivers were somewhat open mouthed
Did it involve a veil of grey smoke ?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:07 AM

No-no, it was wet and frosty so little effort required or death to tyres
Old 12-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dave99,Dec 8 2005, 11:30 AM
Getting traction in the S in this weather seems to be similar to finding rocking horse S**t. Role on the Summer.
Having indulged in some agressive S2KJockery at the weekend I'd strongly disagree with that. Even on my run to work I have some fast roundabouts and sharp bends, and the S is fantastic.

You need to be smooth though, and adjust your driving to how the car likes to be driven. Traction isn't a problem after that.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:24 AM

There are legal issues about mud on the road - I think farmers/builders etc. have a duty of care to keep the road surface safe and clear of mud. If it's really bad might be worth pointing out the mud to them?

Quick Reply: another peril of winter driving