UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another one bites the dust.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_John,Dec 12 2009, 06:08 PM
I live in Drayton and work in Stoke, your M3 isnt black is it? If so then I'm pretty sure I've seen you too a few times.
Ah it is you I see most mornings then! I have a Silverstone (Blue/silver) M3. Always looked like you really enjoyed the car! Always made me very jealous when I saw you each morning!

Get another one
Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=barefoot,Dec 12 2009, 06:29 PM] Thanks for that MRmike, it does prove my point that the car seems to have an inherent problem as three quarter throttle on a motorway ended up with an accident cos the tyre pressures were not correct is a real concern!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by barefoot,Dec 12 2009, 10:29 AM
Got a slight downer on the car at the moment as every other car I have had has never worried me in a straight line no matter what I have done and I have been on lots of track days and to the Ring on at least 5 occasions. Bought the car to have fun and enjoy not to worry about being spat in a ditch after giving it some welly to be then told I drove it like a wally and it's my fault!
There is nothing to be worried about provided you drive to the conditions and ensure you've had the Geo set and have decent tread on the rear tyres.

Like you I've been driving mine to day, roof off and the sound of vtak ringing in my ears - I love it

That said, it's the only car I've owned where I find myself concentrating every time I drive it. It demands respect - perhaps that is what makes it such a great car.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 AM

The only dangerous thing in the S is the nut behind the wheel

It's a RWD sports car, and until recently - there is no electronic gimmickery to try to help you out when things go SNAFU.

Many a Porker driver ends up in ditches, and I have seen TVR drivers etc lose it. The S is no different.

The manual recommends a visual tyre check daily, and measured properly monthly.

There is even a big hoofing warning paragraph.
"Using tyres that are excessively worn or improperly inflated can cause a crash in which you can be seriously hurt or killed..."

But I expect all car manuals have something similar in print.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MRmike,Dec 12 2009, 10:46 AM
Ah it is you I see most mornings then! I have a Silverstone (Blue/silver) M3. Always looked like you really enjoyed the car! Always made me very jealous when I saw you each morning!

Get another one
Believe me if I can for sensible money I will. It's only realy fully dawned on me today when I had to head out in a battered 1.2l clio that my car is gone and it sucks.

And @barefoot, you realy cant let these stories get you down - be alert and dont take the mick and the car will treat you fine.

I've driven quickly in the wet before and had the rear loose once or twice and it was actualy pretty easy to deal with when I was expecting it - this time I was hamfisted and not giving the car my full attention whilst pushing the car more than I should in the wet. (AND on top of that made a balls up of dealing with the slide)

I honestly think you have to be doing a bunch of things wrong before the car will bite.

Respect it, and enjoy it.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 AM

It's all quite simple really, the conditions a the moment are not conducive for ragging away from the lights.

12 Months ago I was tiptoeing round in my S2000 now I'm giving my BMW a clog full regularly, all that is happening is the little orange light on the dashboard is flashing away at me!!

In the S2000 it would have been a handful, it really isn't the cars fault though!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Dec 12 2009, 11:22 AM
+1 agree

I'm 43 and have driven lots of cars over the past 20 years
And maybe there is the answer.

Whats the age demographic of owners killing S2000's ?

Certainly a lot more are being owned buy younger and less experienced owners, thats clear from the recent poll this week.

I'm also 40+
Old 12-12-2009, 12:16 PM

I went to Scotland in mine at the end of the summer and it rained for the whole week or so that I was there. The car felt skittish in the wet and nearly threw me off the road a couple of times (40 mph in a straight line). I was having to go really slow on roads that I grew up driving on.
That for me was the end of the line. I like my cars to be fun but the S2000 just wasn't (for me). I didn't want to be constantly worrying about road conditions and tyre temperatures etc. I just wanted to get in, let the engine warm up and go for a drive.

I went back to a 4wd car and I can honestly say i'll never be getting back in an S2000. Just not my cup of tea. (great fun in the dry though )
Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MRmike,Dec 12 2009, 06:13 PM
75% throttle on a motorway and the severity of the Diff threw me off the motorway. Still my fault as I hadn't checked the pressures but that wouldn't have happened in any other car. I've had plenty of powerful RWD car's with Diff's - 350Z, M3 and neither has the aggressive nature of splitting power like the S does.
Okay.

Today on a racetrack I had the foot buried all day.

I am a very average driver.

100+ mph in the wet.

Full bore acceleration in straight lines, hard acceleration out of bends.

Threshold braking into apexes.

All in VTEC.

Not a single slide on a damp circuit.

Am I a driving God (lol) , or just careful?

Who knows...

But I tell you what, different tyre pressures by a few psi wont do what you suggest.

After one track session the outer rear was 38.5psi and the inner rear 34psi.

The only excuse is for the driver.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Just drive it as you would ride a bike and you'll be fine. Which reminds me be careful with white lines......

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust.