UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another one bites the dust.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 AM
J_D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really sorry to hear anout this, Im not gonna beat you up about it, just live and learn from it, at least your OK mate, theres plenty time for another one
Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's one of those topics that will run and run isn't it?

Human nature, and posturing, mean that nobody wants to admit mistakes.

Or lack of ability, or even intelligence.

And with a forums worth of technical excuses, everyone is innocent.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by barefoot,Dec 13 2009, 12:00 PM
Well Mans Best you like all the others who have bent one are a crap driver it seems!
so it seems - can't argue with the facts, but I'm never going to be a 'Miss Daisy' at least. It's not time for the pipe and slippers yet!!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 AM

I've driven through Germany in practically a monsoon at about 80ish all the way and no problems at all.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, before I got to know it better, I've also nearly spun the car hoofing it in a straight line in second in the wet.

The near spin was 100% my fault, way too brutal with the clutch and non-progressive throttle input. You really don't want to treat the throttle like an on/off switch on this thing.

I have also found that when you feel the back slide under acceleration the very first thing to do is get off that gas (not all the way, but get it nutralised), no steering inputs, just keep it pointed straight. The rears will then regain traction and *hopefully* the car will be pointing in the same direction
EDIT: By no inputs, I mean don't turn the wheel too much - not let go.

I've seen a lot of videos of people fishtailing the car because at the first sign of the back going, they yank full opposite lock and then when the car comes back they are pointing in the wrong direction, then repeat in the opposite direction etc.

Just my opinion of course
Old 12-14-2009, 01:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Caught unawares, it's easy to forget to let go of the wheel.

The AP1/G-series comparo is relevant here; high-performance cars are prone to aquaplaning and are less forgiving. Especially if cheapskates try to go into winter on knackered tyres; 3mm on 245-sections is suicide - unless you're a track day god/dess.

What really is frightening is these 1.4-tonne, 250bhp 245-sectioned Ford Motherfoci and other mass-market dross now out there. The sort of cars that will be bought secondhand by cheapskate losers and not maintained, or by the mindless lower-groups who cannot even read a performance driving tutorial.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by jml,Dec 13 2009, 01:24 PM
Makes me wonder . Ever driven a 1980ties Porsche or a 2009 one with vsa disengaged?
well 2008 Porsche with no VSA - left hooker two weeks ago in the wet and ice (thank you boss) - no different to the S - it bites and so you live with it. You can feel when it goes or is about to and you need to be aware.

My driving instructor's mantra "Look ahead, get to the gear / accelerator / brakes before the corner and then deal with the corner" is very true for all cars

You can spin any car by not paying attention to road conditions, weather conditions and your skill in combination - downhill less than 30mph in a standard 1.3 Ford KA NOT paying attention and I found myself going back up the hill minimal damage but a lesson learnt.

It is well documented on here what the risk factors are with this car and as a driver you are responsible for taking a decision as to what you do with the information and your risk assessment.

I drove my S like a proper Miss Daisy for the first winter I had her having been scared by the horror stories on here, now I am braver / more experienced / tuned into the car whatever you want to call it. I had a play with the risk factors and have come to a set of circumstances I am happy with for my driving style - I have no doubt I will get it wrong at some point but any likeness to Miss Daisy has vanished
Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Dec 14 2009, 02:58 AM
Caught unawares, it's easy to forget to let go of the wheel.
Is that a good idea?

In a situation like that I would keep hold of the wheel so that I can keep the front wheels pointing in the direction I want the car to go (ie. striaght down the road). When traction returns, I would think you need your hands on the wheel in order to snap the steering back in line with the body (which in theory has now returned to a straight line).

I'm interested in the correct techniques though, so could you expand a bit?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Dec 12 2009, 02:45 AM
BTW Go on any RWD car forum and you'll find posts like this.
I've just looked on the first 3 pages of Seloc (Lotus) not one crashed car, yet we have 2 on the first page.

It could just be that Lotus drivers are better than S2k drivers

Or....
Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 AM

Or .. . it's hard to type with a concussion and 2 broken arms.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Dec 14 2009, 12:18 PM
I've just looked on the first 3 pages of Seloc (Lotus) not one crashed car, yet we have 2 on the first page.

It could just be that Lotus drivers are better than S2k drivers

Or....
or they don't drive them very much, because they are broken, chicken, etc

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust.