UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another hood bites the dust!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another hood bites the dust!

'07 Moonrock with 17000 miles developed the now familiar wear in the hood over my right shoulder. This very quickly developed into a good sized hole right the way through. Went to the stealer today where they took some photos and are submitting the warranty claim.

Along with the normal culprit of a sharp edge on a part of the frame from where it was stamped out, the rod the goes through the hood and acts as a tension point would apear to have added its own rubbing onto the spot when the hood is raised and lowered. I hadn't thought that this was the issue...

Has anyone needed a new hood with less mileage?

The above is the original post. Heard from Brindly Honda just a little while ago. Apparentkly the car is in extended warranty and Honda has trejected the SP (Special Permission) claim saying it's not their problem. The dealer has offered to send it to a local trimmer for a repair but I want it fixed propperly, sharp edges removed and a new roof, I don't watch a rapair patch on a car I have owned for three months.

They suggest I now deal with Hoda Customer Care. Can anyone offer any advice or help in how to handle this directly with Honda? This is a known problem with design/manufacturing and needs to be sorted propperly. If anyone has figures as to how many have been repaired it would be helpful as well.

I'm more than a tad furious at the moment...

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 AM

07 plate car - from new - 3 hoods in 2 years of ownership.

Are you still in warranty?
Get it done.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:23 AM

My 57 plate with the same mileage as yours has just had a new roof under warranty.

To give my local dealership their due, they replaced not only the hood but the entire frame too so hopefully this wont happen again!

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Banned

Warranty claim went in this morning. Everything should work out fine in a few weeks.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Why do Honda make such good cars yet such shit design of hoods!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

There are a few threads on how to prevent these wear spots (ideas from covering the frame to gluing patches on). Something to think about once you've got your new hood!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

The main problem with the hood is that the frame is made of some parts that are stamped out of steel plate. When stamping there will almost always be one side that has a sharper edge where the cut surface meets the finished surface. This is normally quite easy to remedy by either stamping from both sides or simp,ly doing an effective be-burr.

Now it would appear that Honda did not do wither of these remedies and actually mounted the stamped piece with the sharp edge facing the hood material. Sharp edge + fabric = hole. When they come to put a new hood on I have already instructed them to file the offending edge prior to reassembling the unit so as to avoid any future problems.

This is basically extremely bad quality checking and control procedures. Not something I would expect from a Japanese manufacturer. I am just amazed that there is nothing from Honda to check this as part of a normal service and replace at zero cost if there is evidence of a potential failure.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

But worth half an hour to add braces to belt! After all, you're going to get metal rubbing on fabric/vinyl anyway. I seem to remember someone else asking a dealer to make sure the edges were finished properly when fitting a replacement hood and they ended up back at the dealer not long afterwards.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Banned

bump. please re-read the original post...
Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Banned

It gets better, the warranty start date is 08/03/07 and I brought it to the dealer on 08/03/10 after being delayed for a week because they had no one available.

Grrrr.......

Quick Reply: Another hood bites the dust!