UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another check engine light thread!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run some carb cleaner through the intake too ..

What fuel do you use? I thought a part of the V-Power / Optimax were cleaners to help your injectors etc.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only used V-Power since I've bought it! It's running a little rough at idle too, again it's that put,..put.......put sound of a little push of excess air coming out of the exhaust???
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 AM

I'd run every type of cleaner through it

When i took the airbox lid off I saw the stock filter get very dirty (general road grime and soot) very quick, and then my MAP needed attention.

Carb cleaner sorted it though.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:20 AM

I take it that I'll have to run the car with no filter whilst I spray the carb cleaner in?

Should I try the injector cleaner and carb cleaner before I clean the plugs? It's only done 46,000 miles and it's had the plug recall done!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bibbs,Apr 10 2007, 02:49 PM
That is weird. As I'd read that the JDM cars were not OBDii as they didn't need to be (or something along those lines).

I had to hunt for an age on other forums and do a few experiments to work out how to do it as I couldn't find anything on here.
I'm very probably lying. IIRC the instructions I followed were off a K-series engine or some such thing but said it would work with all ODB equiped cars. It did. But I had no idea the ODB-2 didn't allow this and that we had something different to other S2Ks.

Another superior JDM feature then.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by nickwrxstiv2,Apr 10 2007, 03:20 PM
I take it that I'll have to run the car with no filter whilst I spray the carb cleaner in?

Should I try the injector cleaner and carb cleaner before I clean the plugs? It's only done 46,000 miles and it's had the plug recall done!
You need to rev the engine while spraying the cleaner in.

I change my plugs a lot more often than scheduled .. but that's just me.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 AM

Right, just got back from Halfords. Whilst there I put some Redex injector cleaner in the tank as I'd just filled up with V-Power this afternoon. When I got back I've just take the filter off and sprayed carb cleaner through the pipe. I did the same but sprayed it straight in to the butterfly flap and throttle body. And guess what.... It seems to have sorted it! It's deffo not making the put...put..put............put sound it did this afternoon! I suppose time will tell!

When I took of the pipe to the throttle body there was loads of muck on the metal part where the MAP sensor is attatched. Do you just think it was a bit of muck in the system???
Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 AM

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but my car threw a misfire code and had a pulsating exhaust at 46K and with the airbox lid off. I have noted that some members & guests have had the airbox lid off from new and haven't experienced any problems.

I took the following actions (listed in order): swapping of coils packs, change of spark plugs, valve clearance adjustment, several bouts of various injector cleaner, with no avail I've currently removed my injectors and have sent them away for spray pattern testing and cleaning.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A misfire on all cylinders is unlikely to be the plugs themselves, more one of the sensors that has input into the fuelling.

I think it might come back, but it may be MAP related.

If there was a lot of oil in the intake pipe then there will have been some MAP contamination so it could well be that.

You mentioned the idle is erratic? Is it using more fuel than normal?

Check my idle thread in FAQ's.

Bibbs, AFAIK all jap cars from 1996 onwards are OBD II compliant. I have many ECU fault code reader tools if anyone wants one.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 AM

Hopefully just the clean may have sorted mine! Out of interest, how much is it to get your injectors bench tested?

Fingers crossed mine will be OK now!

PS - Airbox lid now back on!!!

Quick Reply: Another check engine light thread!