UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Annoying Squeak

Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Squeak

I've just aquired an annoying squeak which only occurs when travelling over bumpy surfaces. More noticeable at slower speeds because the cars quieter then. I've had the car a few months and it's only just started. After a visit to Hendy Honda at Portsmouth with a test drive to show the mechanic the squeak, followed by an inspection in the workshop. The conclusion from the mechanic who inspected the car in the workshop is that there is a tiny amount of play in the Stabilizer Links. He disconnected them and wiggled them about before replacing them. He said that the squeek had stopped when he test drove it but it reappeared before I got back home.
My question is...............does this souns like it's the Stabilzer Links and has anyone else had this problem?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

This may seem (or actually be) stupid, but first check that the spare wheel bolt is done up tightly. It's the most common source of mystery squeaks.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they said the squeak was gone, and it hasn't, make a formal complaint, you've been ripped off. Portsmouth Honda are diabolical IME.

Stabiliser/drop links don't usually squeak, they rattle. It could be anti-roll bar bushes.

I'd be happy to look at your S if you'd like a second opinion, or have any other arising issues...I'm only in Fareham, and have a relatively decent amount of knowledge concerning the S (if I do say so myself ). Noises are often difficult to identify 'til you hear them for yourself

Groova is right though...the spare wheel is known to cause unwanted sounds.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Loftust.........to be fair to Hendy Honda, they did say to bring it back if I want to take it further and there was no charge because of my warranty. I have checked the spare but will check it again. That's a great offer on your part and I've sent you a PM with my # so we can fix a time and date for a meet.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's that time of year again.

ARB bushes is likely, but it could be any of the many down there.

I usually spray every bush with Holt's silicone & rubber lubricant. You'll know then you've hit it, because the tone will change/get worse before it goes away.

It's actually worse in cold, dry weather & the rain helps.

It will get better once it warms up a bit.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 AM

I don't know about annoying Squeeks.
But there's a fun Squeek in the muppets forum.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Nick........the idea that it appears now the weather is colder is an interesting one. I'll certainly keep my eye on it compared to daily temeratures. Or shoot down to Spain? It never appears imediately. Only after 5 or 10mins driving. OK, what does ARB stand for?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Anti-Roll Bar.

They're the big, chunky ones and I think it's the front ones on my Prelude that do it over speed humps. On cold, dry days. Actually goes away after 5-10 mins.

Had a really bad creaky/squeaky one on the EK Civic. Couldn't trace it and it turned out to be the front barke pads, which needed a bit of Copper-Ease on the locators.

You're probably realising by now this is a Honda penomenon and nothing to be too concerned about.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 AM

Cheers Nick..........I'm comfortable about the safety issue, it just annoys me. Can the car be driven gently up and down my road with each Link removed in turn to see if it is one of them? Or is that a no no?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bonnet.

It went away because they opened it and slammed it shut.

The bonnet is supported on rubber posts near the inner wings.
Grease the tops and wind them out a turn or more until you have to slam the bonnet shut.
Mine used to squeek going in and out of the drive at low speed.
Sounds like its behind the dashbord as the sound travels well in this car.

See if that fixes it
Steve.

Quick Reply: Annoying Squeak