UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Annoying Rattle

Old 10-03-2002, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Rattle

Posting with hope that someone else may of had the same problem as me...please !!!

Have had my S2000 for a few weeks now and am loving every minute of it apart from one thing - a rattle from the drivers door. It only starts when I am doing over 10 MPH but is just loud enough to annoy the hell out of me. This is going to sound stupid but the only sound I can describe it as is like when you pour milk on Rice Krispies..a sort of crackling sound. It gets quicker the quicker I go.

If I pull the door tight whilst driving it stops the sound - and likewise if I push the door away it stops.

Is there anything I can do....are there any screws which may cause this that I can tighten ?

Could someone help......driving me insane !!!!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 07:00 AM

Check the seating a fit of the rubber piece (sort of triangular) at the top of the door opening at the front edge of the door and the plastic piece near it, you'll see it when the door is open. Your description sounds a bit like a problem I had after removing the drivers side kick panel after a speaker install, it could have been disturbed during the alarm fitting.

Tif
Old 10-03-2002, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try what Tif said if that does'nt do it then try holding the clip that fastens your roof to the windscreen on the passenger side, this was my problem so I took them off stuffed some folded insulation tape in the back of them "problem solved" (Dead technical) but it worked
Andy
Old 10-03-2002, 07:31 AM

Mine is definatley coming from the right though - is that where yours was from ?
Old 10-03-2002, 07:32 AM

Try fastening the passenger seat belt in place, sometimes this can rattle against the door.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:04 AM

I had much the same problem from both right and left used to drive me bonkers.

I solved the problem very inelegantly after isolating the rattle to the door trims.

Used some foam and stuck it to the dashboard where the door meets dash on either side.

Not a pip squeak in hell since
Old 10-03-2002, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Lotusman
Mine is definatley coming from the right though
I dont' want to sound obvious, but have you also tried the spare wheel locking bolt? I had a terrific rattle in the back of the new car which reverberated through the right-hand-side of the car until I realised it was the bolt which secures the spare.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I also found my antenna loose once and that rattled like hell
Old 10-03-2002, 11:16 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

From the rice krispies sound, could it be within the door trim panel?

Inside the moulding are blocks of expanded polystyrene. Also, there is the clear plastic weatherproof liner. Speaker or alarm fitting might disturb these.

Also, try lubricating the many door rubbers and resting blocks with rubber/nylon lubricant in case they are dry.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:41 PM

I found it was the rubber trim from the soft top rubbing against the door window glass - either open the window a crack or turn your CD player up

Quick Reply: Annoying Rattle