UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Which Circuit
Anglesey
41.67%
Cadwell Park
58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Anglesey or Cadwell?

Old 01-02-2020, 07:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anglesey or Cadwell?

Its down to these 2 for the next track day. I've not visited either, both are ****ing miles away; what are people (ideally who have done both..) saying?

Either one compliment an S2000 better? Any particular highlights?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a while since I've done either of these but done each a few times.

It's probably down to your skill level and familiarity with the S2K.

Anglesey is much more beginner-friendly but still a lot of fun. There's plenty of run-off at the risky points of the circuit and I've never left the tarmac there, the surface is very high friction though and should be borne in mind in your tyre choice. This is my joint fave track with Oulton park. There's a hairpin (can't remember the name) where you build your confidence up and maximise the corner-exit strength of the S2K. Done this in an Exige and Boxster also, and the S2K is better suited than both. Nice driving roads in Wales (and a few tunnels!) as well if you're making the most of a driving weekend or similar.

Cadwell might only be maximised by more experienced or skilful drivers but is still good for the S2K. Again, can't recall name of bend but there's a long downhill straight linked to 90 degree left with a wide section of tarmac that you can play about on if you have the cahones/skill level - that's really fun, a bit too ambitious for the S2K (or my skill level) though. The 'bridge' and the following 3 or 4 bends are real fun. I seem to remember sections of adverse camber that can catch you out though with less run off (or none at all) than you'd need. FWD cars will be keeping up (or passing) on here whilst demanding less of those drivers, I remember Renault showcasing the Megane R26R at this track in the past, about the time people probably stopped buying the S2K for its relative performance alone.

All in all, I think there's less chance of being disappointed at Anglesey (for what I'd want out of a track day). A lot of the track day experience depends who's running the day as well though.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Both great tracks and you need to do both regardless. I’d want nice weather at Cadwell.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:35 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Cadwell has been called the ‘Mini Nürburgring’ - which is a bit of an exaggeration but there is an intensity to the track, certainly in the early corners from when you join.

Exacerbated somewhat by this being essentially a circuit for bikes.

That said, it’s probably the best circuit I’ve driven the the UK (have done most others too) in both FWD and RWD cars and if you take time to learn the car and the track you’ll have a blast. Have done it in the S2000 on a frosty morning/snow by the side of the track type day and you certainly needed to be awake! Not much run off for most corners!
Old 01-03-2020, 12:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I did my first ever Track day at Cadwell, splitting the driving duties with one of my friends. It was one hell of a lot of fun, but there is very, very little runoff. When I went to look at onboard vids of the track prior to the day itself the autocomplete on Youtube for me for "Cadwell track day" was "crash". Haven't been to Anglesey but I definitely want to go back to Cadwell!
Old 01-05-2020, 12:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

If it's your 1st full day I'd recommend Anglesey, Sadly not done Cadwell but I did my 1st at Anglesey and have done another since.

A few S's are booked on at Anglesey on Sunday the 16th of Feb, be good to see some more!
Old 01-07-2020, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m lucky to be relatively local to Cadwell. Great circuit but needs to be respected and takes patience to string a good lap together, but it is so worth it when you do.

I’m too precious about my S2k to take her around but used to hoon around in my old rwd bike engines kit car which was great fun!

If I’m free when and if you’re doing your track day at Cadwell, I’d be more than happy to give some insight/tips on lines, corners, etc.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys - and some good info. Cadwell just edged it so have booked up! Not until May though sadly as my brother needs a bit of time to get his smoky old E36 back up together.

The following users liked this post:
nomadicS2k (01-11-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:34 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Let us know when you're doing it - might try and make it up there at the same time!