UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alpine 7893r - first thoughts

Old 03-30-2003, 03:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alpine 7893r - first thoughts

I fitted the Alpine 7893r and KCE-865B adapter yesterday afternoon and I'm impressed by the sound improvement from the existing speakers (Still waiting for lucid panels to arrive but i've routed the cables behind the seats in readiness) but there are few points for improvement:

(a) The HU doesn't remember where it was on the CD when the engine was switched off and so starts from the start of the CD again - is this because I've taken the shortcut (recommended by some) of linking the yellow power cable to the spare power socket on the KCE adapter? I've only used MP3 discs so far - it may not be the case with normal audio CDs.

(b) jumping between folders on an MP3 CD is a bit fiddly - why did Alpine set it up so that you have to press the function button before the "folder up" or "folder down" buttons?

Old 03-30-2003, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I havent had (a) as a problem craig - seems to be fine with mine (i didnt fit it though - the proffesionals did!)
(b) agree annoying at first, but after a couple of months i am in a rythm with this - however i can never remember what is in each folder - one layer of folders is max!
Old 03-30-2003, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same unit too and have the same feelings too, Craig.

I did a fitting with Ianl (as usual!) and I have the unit "turn off" and lose all its settings every now and again and then will only restart after a few seconds. Occasionally frustrating, perhaps a loose connection.

Overall great sound quality, but perhaps too fiddly for me - especially when I try to skip through tracks on the dash and it changes to tuner.

Would choose differently next time.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig
you`ve done a frig to get that unit in. The link of the yellow cable is not advised. Thats why the cable has a big `must route direct to battery on it`. You should *not* use the in situ harness to achieve this.

a: You need a constant feed and under high load this current could create major problems on the existing loom. Plus high output may result in display dimming. Go through the grommet in the passenger side footwell direct to constant +ve. Put an inline fuse in there as well. Do a proper job.

b: fully agree, fiddly, not needed. Sort it Alpine.

c: doesn`t bother me in the slightest. People today eh, moaning about a few second search time. 60 years back you`d be lucky with an opera singer in the back seat for audio accompaniment , now your only worry is a slow seek time? Stop moaning ( )
Old 03-30-2003, 07:31 AM

Craig,

How easy was it to install? I have just orderd the Alpine 7894RB unit and the KCE adaptor from lucid (with my speakers).

Does the adaptor sit between the OEM loom and the Alpine Loom?

Thanks

f
Old 03-30-2003, 08:22 AM

Cheers for the advice Col - I wondered how to get the wiring into the engine bay! That will be next weekend's project!

frankyknuckles, fitting is easy, all wires colour coded so you just match them up. I think form memory the only wire from the back of the HU which wasn't connected to anything was the orange wire (dash illumination). The adapter does indeed fit between the OEM and the Alpine looms. Its quite a squeeze to get everything back into the dash! (which I going to have to do again to get that damn yellow wire connected properly!). However, to connect the rear speaker wires, buy a pack of bullet connecters from halfords, cut the rear speaker feeds on the adapter and connect them to the rear speaker cable (which you will also need to buy from Halfords - bought the thicker blue stuff for a
Old 03-30-2003, 08:22 AM

I`m diving in here, but Craig will confirm. Its a piece of p1ss to fit. Just make sure you add that direct link to the +ve. The adaptor DOES sit between the oem and the Alpine.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by craig armstrong
[B]Cheers for the advice Col - I wondered how to get the wiring into the engine bay!
Old 03-30-2003, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
Don`t leave the unit without that. You`ll be brickin` it forever and a day. Nothing will maybe ever happen, but assume an extreme load causes a harness melt and a subsequent fire. Likely? Maybe not. But Alpine for some reason are pretty insistent on it in the docs. Plus you`ll keep you settings, be safe, not suffer from dim outs and be proud of your handy work. I tell ya what, I`ll even do it for you at SM3 if you want.
How about doing mine as well Col ?
Old 03-30-2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper

Don`t leave the unit without that. You`ll be brickin` it forever and a day. Nothing will maybe ever happen, but assume an extreme load causes a harness melt and a subsequent fire. Likely? Maybe not. But Alpine for some reason are pretty insistent on it in the docs. Plus you`ll keep you settings, be safe, not suffer from dim outs and be proud of your handy work. I tell ya what, I`ll even do it for you at SM3 if you want.

Col
Cheers for the offer Col, I'll have a stab myself next weekend - hopefully the rear panels will have arrived by then and if the rear speakers don't cause a fire, nothing will!

Quick Reply: Alpine 7893r - first thoughts