UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alignment and Tyre help!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

No charge! I told you they were good guys.

Glad I was right about the caster too. If you want a bit more front end grip, you could add more camber, but leave the caster where it is, you'll retain the light around the straight ahead feel you like.

Do be careful drifting it, especially when the roads get wet, and temperatures drop.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
No charge! I told you they were good guys.

Glad I was right about the caster too. If you want a bit more front end grip, you could add more camber, but leave the caster where it is, you'll retain the light around the straight ahead feel you like.

Do be careful drifting it, especially when the roads get wet, and temperatures drop.

Yes thanks for your help with the Caster, it did the trick. We set the target at 5o50'. With the rear toe WIM Hunter machine definitely has a factory rear settings at 7' toe-in each side (14' total) which is at odds to the spec on this forum.

Since my overall priority is fun and not grip and speed I think adding front camber will again reduce steering feel so for now I'm going to leave it where it is.

I'm a bit surprised that WIM didn't tell me to drive the car a few miles to let the suspension settle after the alignment bolt greasing

Next job is to get that Extended Honda Warranty sorted as my car is an 09 with just 16k miles so the engine is probably not totally proven yet. No ticking noise, I just want the peace of mind from the warranty.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:16 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by rexer200
Yes thanks for your help with the Caster, it did the trick. We set the target at 5o50'. With the rear toe WIM Hunter machine definitely has a factory rear settings at 7' toe-in each side (14' total) which is at odds to the spec on this forum.

Since my overall priority is fun and not grip and speed I think adding front camber will again reduce steering feel so for now I'm going to leave it where it is.

I'm a bit surprised that WIM didn't tell me to drive the car a few miles to let the suspension settle after the alignment bolt greasing

Next job is to get that Extended Honda Warranty sorted as my car is an 09 with just 16k miles so the engine is probably not totally proven yet. No ticking noise, I just want the peace of mind from the warranty.
All good stuff. FWIW I get the alignment done once a year, which gives me a chance to test things out (it's how I found out about the caster effect). Next year, give it a try with a bit more camber on the front (maybe go to 45') and see what you think. It's not so big an adjustment that it will ruin things, and you never know, you may like it more.

The Extended Warranty is well worth it, especially on an 09 car with potential engine problems as well as the more common VSA problems. Given you get European AA cover included, it's good value.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by rexer200' timestamp='1412761648' post='23360984

All good stuff. FWIW I get the alignment done once a year, which gives me a chance to test things out (it's how I found out about the caster effect). Next year, give it a try with a bit more camber on the front (maybe go to 45') and see what you think. It's not so big an adjustment that it will ruin things, and you never know, you may like it more.

The Extended Warranty is well worth it, especially on an 09 car with potential engine problems as well as the more common VSA problems. Given you get European AA cover included, it's good value.
I've noticed the extended warranty prices vary enormously between Honda dealers. The cheapest I've found is 1 yr £250, 2 yr £450, 3 yr £650.
My local dealer refuses to match these prices so I'll just buy from the cheapest, which happens to be the dealer who supplied the car and gave it its first 5 services - so if I do get engine / Gearbox / diff/ VSA issues then there is some continuity
Old 10-08-2014, 08:18 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

£650 is about right, so no reason not to go for it.