UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alignment and Tyre help!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rexer200
Originally Posted by Si2k' timestamp='1412668245' post='23359416
More camber will help feel i think, I run 1'50" on the front and it turns in nicely and loads up like you want.

WIM settings on a MY00
Thanks but I don't understand why you say more camber will 'help' ? I'm not looking for grip, I'm looking for steering feedback and feel.
Out of interest what is your early car like with only 5' of rear toe?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

The RE002 are pretty stiff - I have done a squeeze test with these, some RE050a and Toyo R888s, the RE002 were not as stiff as the R888s abut stiffer than the RE050a. Run them at 32psi.

Here's what I'd do (measurements are for each wheel).

Front Camber 30'
Front Toe 0'
Front Caster 5[sup]o[/sup]45'

Rear Toe 5'
Rear camber 1[sup]o[/sup]30'
[sup]
[/sup]
But, as I've said before, tell WiM what you'd like and they will advise you accordingly.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
The RE002 are pretty stiff - I have done a squeeze test with these, some RE050a and Toyo R888s, the RE002 were not as stiff as the R888s abut stiffer than the RE050a. Run them at 32psi.

Here's what I'd do (measurements are for each wheel).

Front Camber 30'
Front Toe 0'
Front Caster 5[sup]o[/sup]45'

Rear Toe 5'
Rear camber 1[sup]o[/sup]30'
[sup]
[/sup]
But, as I've said before, tell WiM what you'd like and they will advise you accordingly.
But RE050 MZ's are lots stiffer than RE050a's?? My understanding is that the MZ was developed specifically for the S2000 and the main difference (the MZ) part is the super stiff sidewall.

Regarding your front Caster recommendation, I'm certainly tempted and I need to decide today.

Regarding you rear toe recommendation, I don't understand why so low at 5' ? The stock figures you gave me are:

Rear 24'±16'

I currently have 14' and I find the car wants to oversteer too much, even for me and I like oversteer!

Thanks for all your help by the way - I'm going to try and get to the Oxford (23rd?) meet to say hello and buy you a drink!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:24 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

But RE050 MZ's are lots stiffer than RE050a's?? My understanding is that the MZ was developed specifically for the S2000 and the main difference (the MZ) part is the super stiff sidewall.

Regarding your front Caster recommendation, I'm certainly tempted and I need to decide today.

Regarding you rear toe recommendation, I don't understand why so low at 5' ? The stock figures you gave me are:

Rear 24'±16'

I currently have 14' and I find the car wants to oversteer too much, even for me and I like oversteer!

Thanks for all your help by the way - I'm going to try and get to the Oxford (23rd?) meet to say hello and buy you a drink!
I have 16" wheels, so the RE050a was the option, and I suspect not much different from the RE050MZ. Either way, the RE002 is a pretty stiff sidewalled tyre.

I suggested that toe as you said you wanted it progressive - low toe makes it slide more readily, but more controllably. Lots of rear toe means it'll grip and grip and grip but let go more suddenly.

Personally, I prefer more rear toe as I don't like to slide the car at all on the road, mostly because I'm a very average driver!

I shan't be at the Oxford meet, as I only do the Herts and Surrey meets, as well as organising the Ricky Run, at which you'd be very welcome: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...-26th-october/
Old 10-07-2014, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k' timestamp='1412668245' post='23359416
More camber will help feel i think, I run 1'50" on the front and it turns in nicely and loads up like you want.

WIM settings on a MY00
Thanks but I don't understand why you say more camber will 'help' ? I'm not looking for grip, I'm looking for steering feedback and feel.
Castor is rate of change of camber, you can start at a higher camber and it makes the steering heavier. You will also benefit from camber thrust.

I know exactly what you mean about the 'audi' feel and going to high camber helped. Especially when you load it up on a dry road. Tyre wear is still even across the tread so no real negatives
Old 10-07-2014, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by rexer200' timestamp='1412671384' post='23359443
[quote name='Si2k' timestamp='1412668245' post='23359416']

WIM settings on a MY00
Out of interest what is your early car like with only 5' of rear toe?
[/quote]

Surprisingly stable and balance. its poly bushed which will limit some dynamic toe change but its not the widow maker people suggest it is from the piece of paper.

I think the Goodyear F1AS2 help to tame any snappyness anyway. Effect of toe can be limited/enhanced depending on how strong tyres are under srub (the Goodyears need a bit more steering lock than BS, but thats fine as the benefit on bumpt and cold roads far outweighs this small negative point.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:24 AM

I'm at wheels in motion and they tell me that the rear toe should be 14' total or 7' on each side yet the specification says 24' Total toe ???
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

I'm at wheels in motion and they tell me that the rear toe should be 14' total or 7' on each side yet the specification says 24' Total toe ???
It says 24 +/- 8, which translates to anything between 8 and 16 each side.

Again, explain to them how you'd like it to drive and ask for their suggestions on how to achieve that.

Any news? Any better now? What settings did you go for in the end?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:20 AM

Yes I had a very good result yesterday.

My car is back to normal 

WIM reduced the caster, reduced the front camber and set it to zero toe on the front.
At the rear they equalised the slight imbalance on the toe in.

And now that car feels great. Steering is nice and light around the centre, self-centring is lessened and it weights up nicely like before in the turns with more feel. I really had such an enjoyable drive home, what a difference!
Admittedly I’ve lost some front end grip but now I can actually feel what the front tyres are doing and as they push a bit I can now easily bring the rear into play on the throttle. On the way home I managed a couple of nice really smooth drifts! Lovely, before the rear jerked around doing that 50pence piece thing but now it sooo much more predictable.

They didn’t charge me too – great result!

Later on looking at the figures I noticed that after the first alignment the rear toe was 14 minutes yet the ‘before’ setting yesterday was 34 minutes (way too much)!!
which would explain why the rear was so twitchy. I reckon its because when the bolts were greased just before the initial alignment the car was jacked up. Then immediately after driven on the ramp to be aligned so the suspension hadn't settled after being jacked up!
Now the rear toe is set to 16 minutes on settled suspension, and hopefully it’ll stay that way.

Also it had toe-in on the front rather than the toe out that was set.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:28 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Excellent - good result !

Quick Reply: Alignment and Tyre help!