UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alignment and Tyre help!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

WIM will often make allowance for the camber on British roads , those settings are similar to what mine is set at although my car is a tad lower than standard .
Old 10-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrote a long reply with all the whys of why I would recommend the following settings, but tapatalk threw a hissy fit and ditched it...gggrrrr.

Anyway, I'd go for the following, which offers a conservative, but solid setup that affords plenty of grip, feel, and potential for 'fun' if you so desire.

Front toe: bang on zero
Front camber: 0 degs 45 mins
Caster: 6 degs

Rear toe: 0 degs 20 mins
Rear camber: 1 deg 45 mins
Old 10-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt A
You may have already found it but the geometry is in the car handbook which hopefully you will have. The data given is consistent with what's mentioned by WIM except for the camber as you have already suggested. WIM give a target of -55' +/-10' but the car's handbook says -30' +/-10'. Your front left was therefore within spec but your right was a long way off (+13'). Camber differences in my very limited experience will make the car pull one way - in your case it would be to the right. Did you have this issue ?
Thanks but the 'before' figures should be ignored. I had the alighnment bolts all greased before the geo hence the before is all meaningless. I was very happy with the feel of the car before but I don't know what the geo was!
Old 10-06-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by loftust
I wrote a long reply with all the whys of why I would recommend the following settings, but tapatalk threw a hissy fit and ditched it...gggrrrr.

Anyway, I'd go for the following, which offers a conservative, but solid setup that affords plenty of grip, feel, and potential for 'fun' if you so desire.

Front toe: bang on zero
Front camber: 0 degs 45 mins
Caster: 6 degs

Rear toe: 0 degs 20 mins
Rear camber: 1 deg 45 mins
Thanks for your suggestion, so annoying about tap-talk. I haven't used it but read lots of bad things about it.

So looking at the alignment you've given this is pretty much standard apart from 25' more camber front and rear.
Since I'm looking for maximum steering feedback and fun im not really sure why you've suggested more camber?

I know that the camber will give me more overall grip but surely it will also rob some of that steering feel? What I liked before (whatever settings I had?) was that the car was engaging to drive even at legal road speeds, this was mainly due to the steering feel and response I had. One other thing Id like to achieve from the rear is a bit more progressiveness. At the moment it feels quite twitchy, especially in the wet and hard acceleration in second through a a bend especially when bumpy and the back will lurch about too much and step out quickly without any progression. To me it feels like the its a bit of a symptom of having super grippy 245 section tyres, I wonder if with 225s on the rear it'd be more progressive? I may try narrower rear tyres when these ones are shot.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by rexer200
Thanks for your suggestion, so annoying about tap-talk. I haven't used it but read lots of bad things about it.

So looking at the alignment you've given this is pretty much standard apart from 25' more camber front and rear.
Since I'm looking for maximum steering feedback and fun im not really sure why you've suggested more camber?

I know that the camber will give me more overall grip but surely it will also rob some of that steering feel? What I liked before (whatever settings I had?) was that the car was engaging to drive even at legal road speeds, this was mainly due to the steering feel and response I had. One other thing Id like to achieve from the rear is a bit more progressiveness. At the moment it feels quite twitchy, especially in the wet and hard acceleration in second through a a bend especially when bumpy and the back will lurch about too much and step out quickly without any progression. To me it feels like the its a bit of a symptom of having super grippy 245 section tyres, I wonder if with 225s on the rear it'd be more progressive? I may try narrower rear tyres when these ones are shot.
First up, Loftust had an older car with different geometry, which usually required more rear toe in.

These cars have a reputation for being twitchy in the wet, especially in second gear, so it's generally not recommended. However, less rear toe will make it more progressive, although you don't have much at the moment, perhaps a bit more will give you a bit more stability?

These cars are more a case of grip, grip, grip...are you sure?...grip...hedge. They aren't really meant for heroic power slides, certainly amongst average drivers (which you may or may not be).

Better drivers than me recommend a rear lower brace to help with the feel of the rear. There are lots of threads on that subject, so take a look around.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

All this will be a moot point, as you'll be going backwards though a hedge in the near future if you are accelerating through corners in 2nd in the wet over bumps

The trouble here is that you've changed two things at the same time and I suspect it's the RE002s that are contributing to the different feel too
Old 10-06-2014, 11:50 PM

More camber will help feel i think, I run 1'50" on the front and it turns in nicely and loads up like you want.

WIM settings on a MY00

Old 10-07-2014, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by rexer200' timestamp='1412654420' post='23359303

First up, Loftust had an older car with different geometry, which usually required more rear toe in.

These cars have a reputation for being twitchy in the wet, especially in second gear, so it's generally not recommended. However, less rear toe will make it more progressive, although you don't have much at the moment, perhaps a bit more will give you a bit more stability?

These cars are more a case of grip, grip, grip...are you sure?...grip...hedge. They aren't really meant for heroic power slides, certainly amongst average drivers (which you may or may not be).

Better drivers than me recommend a rear lower brace to help with the feel of the rear. There are lots of threads on that subject, so take a look around.
Up until this point I've not mentioned my driving ability. I consider myself a quick but safe driver on road and track having competed in various circuit and drift events with success and track days for over 20+ years. I've driven virtually every circuit in the UK and completed over 800 laps of the Nordschleife Nurburgring.
Having said that the S2000 is my 'fun' road car, not my track car. I want it to be as entertaining and fun as possible without having to drive above the legal speed limit. I'm much more interested in feel, feedback and balance than I am in grip and speed. In the past I've owned loads of cars which have been a mixture of front and mid engine rear wheel drive and front wheel and four wheel drive all with a bias on handling. Lots of my cars have been modified in terms of chassis and suspension but with the S2000 ideally I'd like to keep it as standard as possible, although I may now add a lower rear chassis brace (although there is a bar going across by the diff anyway) :-)

I'm tempted to just stick the geo at the stock settings, so that means more rear toe-in than I have at the moment, less front camber and caster and zero front toe.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
All this will be a moot point, as you'll be going backwards though a hedge in the near future if you are accelerating through corners in 2nd in the wet over bumps

The trouble here is that you've changed two things at the same time and I suspect it's the RE002s that are contributing to the different feel too
:-)

Regarding the tyres, I went for tyres that I thought would have stiff sidewalls, hence the RE002 choice however even with these pumped to 36psi there looks like more tyre deflection when parked than I could see with the standard RE050 MZ's. I guess Honda specified that tyre with a super stiff sidewall to help with the response and feedback.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k
More camber will help feel i think, I run 1'50" on the front and it turns in nicely and loads up like you want.

WIM settings on a MY00
Thanks but I don't understand why you say more camber will 'help' ? I'm not looking for grip, I'm looking for steering feedback and feel.

Quick Reply: Alignment and Tyre help!