UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alarm/Central locking problem

Old 08-06-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm/Central locking problem

Morning all.

Let me start by saying this is totally out of character, I usually don't give a shit about how clean things are and just prefer that they work and I leave it. On the S2000 though, pictures of clean engine bays have made me think, "I want that", which leads us to a problem.

Unfortunately I don't always think before I act, it was a problem at school and it's a problem now. Now I'd happily spend a day in isolation for my stupidity yesterday but hopefully it's not as serious as I'm thinking.

So, what happened was, I was cleaning out my engine bay and making a list of things that needed painting/removing from the bay. One thing that I saw, was this big ugly bracket with a big red knob on it. The bracket is hella rusty, so at the very least I wanted to pull it off and paint it. Unfortunately the rust had seized the bolts holding the unit together, so after a bit of thinking I noticed only 4 wires hold this into the loom - I think you can see where this is going.

Genius me thought I'd cut the 4 wires then simply solder them back up when I'm done and leave it all nice and neat. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case.

Upon disconnecting the wires I immediately lost all functionality from the remote fob. I had to lock the doors manually, but also the key would now start the car without having to press the indented button on the fob. (Usually, if I don't put the key in fast enough I have to press the unlock button to get the green key to illuminate on the dashboard thus allowing me to start).

Anyway, I was a bit worried at this point, so decided to just try connecting the wires up and seeing if it works again.

Unfortunately not.

From here I thought I'd bring up the manual for the alarm and see if I need to program a key into it, but the combinations aren't working. I'm getting no response from the alarm at all from the fob.

Where do I go from here? I've donned the dunce cap and need some help guys.

Thanks
Dan
Old 08-06-2015, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had multiple problems with my previous's s2000's central locking and alarm. When i bought it, the alarm didnt work and the car would start just on the key without the need to press the button for the green key to illuminate.

I rang Jim at Hamilton & Palmer who manufactured the alarms way back when. He is extremely helpful and tried everything to help me sort the issue just over the phone.

I would give him a call. Ill try to find the number for you
Old 08-06-2015, 02:27 AM

I think you need to speak to Margaret Heather first. she will beable to get you through to Jim.

The number is - Tel: +44 1732 760 022
Old 08-06-2015, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the offer chrome, but the legend that is RobAP1 has helped me solve this fairly easily!

It was a simple fuse from under the steering wheel. 3a, pink one.

In the bank of 4 fuses there are 2 pink ones, I took the one from the other side to test it and all seems well. I'll have to try and find a wiring diagram to see what it was the other fuse did!
Old 08-06-2015, 02:45 AM

I'll pop the bill in the post!