UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Airbox mod - how much louder?

Old 07-16-2003, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbox mod - how much louder?

I was about to do this last night when I suddenly thought about the airfield day in a couple of weeks.

Just how much louder is the car with the airbox partition cut out and is it likely to mean I fail the noise limit? It's not something that can be rectified too easily on the day and I don't want to have to go home before I've started.

Is it much louder, or just a bit louder?
Old 07-16-2003, 03:44 AM

Mark

It is louder..........but not like airbox off...I think it should be fine, well I hope so 'cause I don't want to be turned away either
Old 07-16-2003, 04:17 AM

If your just after a subtle change to the sound ,try just blocking the resonator box first, I used some duct tape. If its increased air flow, I cant comment on cutting the parititon as I havent done that. Although I am considering the Spoon intake extension which I think) recommends cutting the airbox.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:25 AM

I would be *very* surprised if its loud enough to be considered a problem

according to my TVR mate, it makes the car sound a "lot more serious" - not particularly loud as such, just more menacing

I'm not worried about failing the noise testing at the 'Ring in August - which can be quite stringent...

Ben
Old 07-16-2003, 04:32 AM

OK, that's it I've succumbed (thankyou in advance CC for comments)

Who in the Kent/Surrey border has done this mod and wouldn't mind taking me for a quick spin tonight/tomorrow?

Del.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:41 AM

I drove a few laps of Brands airbox off just for the sound. Apparently, it wasn't noticeably louder (in a bleeding eardrum fashion) than normal from the pits, so I don't think it'll be a problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by VTECAZ
If your just after a subtle change to the sound ,try just blocking the resonator box first,
I did that, it's a bit too subtle - I'm looking for more noise really - I can't mod it too much because it's a company car - so CAIs, Exhausts and the like are out.

If Ben's happy about going to the 'Ring with it, then I'm sold. Mr Stanley and Herr Dremel will be put to work this evening.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:36 AM

go do it Mark......it's easy with the Dremmel, mind you I went through a few discs
Old 07-16-2003, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
[B]

I did that, it's a bit too subtle - I'm looking for more noise really - I can't mod it too much because it's a company car - so CAIs, Exhausts and the like are out.

If Ben's happy about going to the 'Ring with it, then I'm sold.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MarkB
Just how much louder is the car with the airbox partition cut out and is it likely to mean I fail the noise limit?
Induction noise does cause more drive-by failures than exhausts on things like Caterhams. But that's normally throttle bodies with a foam filter on top type things. The car will be a little louder, but the airbox is still there - I'm sure you'll be fine.

-Brian.

Quick Reply: Airbox mod - how much louder?