UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Air guide

Old 11-06-2008, 02:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Air guide

I'm going to acquire another snorkle since my last one was wrecked. I will remove the bottlekneck bits like last time, i never posted a pic up but will next time.

Now my question is the airguide (im sure thats what it is?), the plastic bit that fits in the gap between the bumper and rad - Is it's function to collect air from the front and pass it into the airbox and also guide air to flow over the engine?

If its function is to pass air into the bonnet area etc, then the last thing i want to do is remove it (bloody hot in there to begin with), i have an AM manifold and will then consider cutting the air guide to allow the snorkle to fit in and retain the airflow.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Nov 6 2008, 11:32 AM
If its function is to pass air into the bonnet area etc, then the last thing i want to do is remove it (bloody hot in there to begin with), i have an AM manifold and will then consider cutting the air guide to allow the snorkle to fit in and retain the airflow.
The airguide forces air onto the ratiator but also allows some air to flow into the top of the engine bay to keep it cool and to feed the OEM airbox.

If you remove the airguide more air will flow into the engine bay and less will be forced onto the radiator.

If you cover over the air guide with a 'Cooling Plate' your engine bay will get very hot.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM,Nov 6 2008, 01:04 PM
The airguide forces air onto the ratiator but also allows some air to flow into the top of the engine bay to keep it cool and to feed the OEM airbox.

If you remove the airguide more air will flow into the engine bay and less will be forced onto the radiator.

If you cover over the air guide with a 'Cooling Plate' your engine bay will get very hot.

Thanks for that Steve, i think leaving it is the best option for me, then just cutting into it for the snorkle.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my car without the air guide for 4 years without any problems
Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eSeM,Nov 6 2008, 12:04 PM
How much difference in reality will it really make though, I can't see the small amount of air that the standard guide lets through doing much cooling if anything to the engine bay?
Old 11-06-2008, 03:40 AM

Remember that the engine bay gets very hot to begin with, hoter than other engine bays i have ecountered .

But for me personally i have an aftermarket manifold with no heatshield so i need air coming in, plus air for the rad too.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:56 AM

Id worry about your heat shield then. It might cook your brakes. Esp if your doing track days
Old 11-06-2008, 03:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedUn,Nov 6 2008, 12:36 PM
How much difference in reality will it really make though, I can't see the small amount of air that the standard guide lets through doing much cooling if anything to the engine bay?
I think it will make quite a big difference as it provides a flow of air.

If it is covered over there will be now air flow to move the hot air out of the engine bay.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happens to the air going through the rad

Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Nov 6 2008, 04:16 PM
What happens to the air going through the rad
Ah this argument again, Steven is at the centre too, I did a search ages ago before deciding to fit a Rad plate, It makes no difference. In fact your better removing the air guide and using a cooling plate with a snorkle. If you dont have a cooling plate leave the airguide in! it there to force air into the radiator.

Having run both ways it makes no differece to engine temperature having a rad plate.

Quick Reply: Air guide