UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

aftermarket springs or shock/spring combo?

Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not so fussed about the stock shocks getting knackered quickly as I can pick up another pair easily from some scrappers. I remember swapping just springs on my civic (99 shape 3dr hatch) and people saying that springs would shorten the life of the shocks but I was happy for the
Old 04-13-2007, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hornyhonda,Apr 13 2007, 11:07 PM
Ultimately I would like to go for an adjustable shock/spring combo if I were to buy a whole package. I just dont want to feel like I have to spend alot of money just because its an s2000 afterall all these kits all serve the same purpose by lowering the centre of gravity of the car which is the real reason handling is improved.
Not promoting the Konis, just presenting other options that don't require a lawyer's salary.

Lower centre of gravity and stiffer springs for less roll is good, but it's a lot more complicated than that. It might be great on a smooth road, but the dampers are there for a reason.

Funnily enough there's a thread tonight on the FTO forum saying "I've fitted lowering springs, but now it feels like the car is too bouncy on rebound" - standard (and probably well worn) dampers not being up to the job with stiffer lower springs.

But it depends what you want. If you're just going for looks and want the car to be acceptable rather than good, then I can understand your point of view. I did it when I had an FTO, and I always thought it was a mistake. Then I bought some coilovers and it was miles better.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:51 PM

I have some skunk2 adjustable coilovers for my CRX project but havent driven the car yet (still work in progress). Maybe I'll wait till Ive experienced a bit of that before buying some for the S. Im looking for acceptable and looks at the moment but with a view to upgrade the shocks at a later date. I'll ring around a few stockists on monday and see what they recommend for buying springs then shocks at a later date. Im just about to embark on a 3year uni course doing motorsport technology so money's a bit flakey but I'd rather not eat than not mod my S
Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hornyhonda,Apr 14 2007, 12:51 AM
I have some skunk2 adjustable coilovers for my CRX project but havent driven the car yet (still work in progress). Maybe I'll wait till Ive experienced a bit of that before buying some for the S. Im looking for acceptable and looks at the moment but with a view to upgrade the shocks at a later date. I'll ring around a few stockists on monday and see what they recommend for buying springs then shocks at a later date. Im just about to embark on a 3year uni course doing motorsport technology so money's a bit flakey but I'd rather not eat than not mod my S
Must be tough for students these days. Only being able to afford a CRX project car and a modded S2000.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hornyhonda,Apr 13 2007, 11:07 PM
I just dont want to feel like I have to spend alot of money just because its an s2000 afterall all these kits all serve the same purpose by lowering the centre of gravity of the car which is the real reason handling is improved.
No, you are either missing the point or simply unable to detect problems with the OEM suspension. Have you never felt the under damped back end skip on B roads? Aftermarket shocks can resolve this problem, whereas stiffer springs on an under damped shock will probably make the problem worse. Decent dampers are also better able to cope with tight twisties, being less likely to be overwhelmed with the directional changes. Finally, there is a nice weight saving which also benefits the single wheel bounce. This final point is often overlooked.

PJL ran lowering springs for a while - he knows the benefits of swopping to a proper aftermarket damper set.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:15 AM

IMO theres nothing wrong with the S2000 suspension setup, it is designed well and is adequate for the car.

If you feel the need or are capable of pushing the car beyond the stock suspension limits then the upgrade needs to be done properly or not at all.

This to me means investing in a decent set of coilovers, which are on my shopping list but not particularly high on my priority list at the moment.

Andy
Old 04-16-2007, 05:43 AM

EDIT - jimbo, commercial posting is not allowed.