UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

After oil Bolt Recall - Increase in performance noticed

Old 01-27-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After oil Bolt Recall - Increase in performance noticed

I recently had a recall on my S2000 02 at 13500 miles, and have noticed a significant increase in overall performance.

What i mean is that when you rev the car now it smoothly shoots up to 8000+ without any effort where as previously it was less instant and the overall performance has definitely been enhanced.

Has anybody else noticed this ?

Any comments ?

Mike G
Old 01-27-2003, 09:15 AM

Not exactly the same, but rumour has it that the change to synthetic oil at around the 9000 mile mark can have this effect.

Is it possible that you were filled up with a synthetic ??

Noony.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:20 AM

Mike
I have just had this work done, I haven't noticed an increase in performance, but I have noticed that when changing gear and coming off the clutch it seems much smoother, unlike before when the car almost leapt forward. I am not sure whether this is a reult of the recall or that my clutch is going .

Any clues anyone?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:28 AM

I wish my clutch leapt anywhere or at least had some bite to it.
2400 miles and it will slip in most gear changes. I know this car has a weak clutch but at what point does it become a warranty issue??

Dave
Old 01-27-2003, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was your oil really old?
Can't say I've had a significant increase but there has been an improvement.
The only downside I've had is the idle revs appear to be lower. Feels like it almost stalls when reversing. This happened immediately after the recall work. Don't know whether they tinkered with the ECU.
Engine is pulling really well under load though.

Have been hammering it recently - this engine loves the cold weather. Feels quite a bit more powerful on a cold but sunny day.

Noony:
Slipping clutch is a bad sign especially at 2400 miles - get it checked out - it is just going to get worse.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:18 AM

A possible cause for improved performance noted from other forums:

The engine management system 'learns' the characteristics of the engine over time. It is believed that it leans off the mixture as much as possible to improve fuel consumption, to the detriment of performance.

A number of people in the states re-set the ecu by disconnecting its power (removing the battery ...) and believe they feel a performance increase.

Now this may be , but I definitely got worse fuel consumption for the first couple of tanks after the oil bolt / 9000 mile service.

I didn't feel any increase in performance but given the road conditions, I wasn't in any position to do so (it's really hard to compare the rates of wheelspin ).

So oil bolt = improved performance? Possibly, but it's unlikely to be sustained.

Roadkill's mileage figure charts will be interesting to see (in a sad anorak kind of a way ) once he gets his bolts & plugs changed (oo err missus).
Old 01-28-2003, 03:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin Andrews
[B]The engine management system 'learns' the characteristics of the engine over time.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:51 AM

Had this discussion with a patient of mine who races at Goodwood etc after I noticed changes.

Main improvement will be with a change to synthetic oil, but an oil change itself should be noticeable if you know your car.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:38 AM

Mike - now you mention it, I remember thinking the car had much more grunt on the drive back from the dealer after the recall work had been done. I had a new air filter though so put it down to better breathing. The improvement was either temporary or I have got used to it now, but I do think you might be on to something.

For info, my car was at 25000 then and has been on Shell Helix Ultra since end of run in so guess it might not necessarily be oil related

Rob
Old 01-28-2003, 09:49 AM

I also switched from factory mineral oil to fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra during the oil bolt recall, and I noticed the engine was a lot smoother.

But that's what you would expect from an oil change anyway.

Quick Reply: After oil Bolt Recall - Increase in performance noticed