UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Aerosol Spraypaint

Old 01-14-2013, 02:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aerosol Spraypaint

Looking to touch up some bits, can't afford to get it done professionally, and chances are someone will run in to me right after it's done anyway.

I have a Moonrock, has anyone had any success with colour matched aerosols you can buy from paint shops?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which bits are you wanting to touch up?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scottland
Which bits are you wanting to touch up?
Some bugger caught my bumper in a car park yesterday.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Spies
Looking to touch up some bits, can't afford to get it done professionally, and chances are someone will run in to me right after it's done anyway.

I have a Moonrock, has anyone had any success with colour matched aerosols you can buy from paint shops?
The halford custom colour stuff is actually quite good. Key is prep and patience. Try and do it in an area free from dust/wind. Get a good keyed surface to paint to that is free from contaminates. Apply your primer. Primer doesn't run as bad as the paint, so you can get it done quite quickly. With the paint, take your time doing lots of light passes. After 20 (An estimate - you maybe closer/futher away than I do it) or so passes, wait 10 mins. and then another 10 passes, then 10 mins, etc etc. After the paint has hardened, you can wet and dry it, using no more than 1000 grit (Unless your paint needs no lacquer then go all the way). Halfords spray lacquer is average at best and it would be best for you to get a body shop to use their tool for the lacquer side of things.

HTH
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by Spies' timestamp='1358162974' post='22265052

The halford custom colour stuff is actually quite good. Key is prep and patience. Try and do it in an area free from dust/wind. Get a good keyed surface to paint to that is free from contaminates. Apply your primer. Primer doesn't run as bad as the paint, so you can get it done quite quickly. With the paint, take your time doing lots of light passes. After 20 (An estimate - you maybe closer/futher away than I do it) or so passes, wait 10 mins. and then another 10 passes, then 10 mins, etc etc. After the paint has hardened, you can wet and dry it, using no more than 1000 grit (Unless your paint needs no lacquer then go all the way). Halfords spray lacquer is average at best and it would be best for you to get a body shop to use their tool for the lacquer side of things.

HTH
Do you just give them your paint code and they mix it for you?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 AM

I'm being honest. You could spend 30 odd quid and and a weekend trying to do an aerosol can job, but it will probably look crap (metallic grey is particularly bad to colour match). I think you would be better getting a body shop to do a local spray job on your bumper. I can't see it being more than £100. A place near me will do half a bumper for £60!!

It's worth the extra bit of cash IMO
Old 01-14-2013, 03:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What he said, I'd either have it fixed properly or not bother at all
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EBAY
HONDA NH676M-T MOON ROCK Aerosol Paint 400ML

Damage from Stone chips, High kerbs and Careless parkers are all nature of the beast I am afraid. The plastic front and rear generally ends up a slightly different colour anyway. I personally do not bother too much. I am on my third windscreen through stone damage. Sheep, Tractors and Bloodhounds are not too good either.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by simonix
I'm being honest. You could spend 30 odd quid and and a weekend trying to do an aerosol can job, but it will probably look crap (metallic grey is particularly bad to colour match). I think you would be better getting a body shop to do a local spray job on your bumper. I can't see it being more than £100. A place near me will do half a bumper for £60!!

I agree. If it was the edge of a door/bonnet I might be tempted to have a go - but the bumper will be a pain to match. Got a pick of the area in question?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by simonix

looking at £120+VAT here for just that area.

Can't get pics at the moment as I'm not in the same place as the car, but it's basically the edge of the bumper that meets the wheel.

It must be possible to get a reasonable result at home?

Quick Reply: Aerosol Spraypaint