UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

AEM V2 Question

Old 08-25-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would heartily recommend it mate.

The point i am trying to make is, a lot of the 'issues' with AEM's are 2nd or 3rd hand 'well i heard this & that' type of comments. Burnie (sidewaysonfire) has had his for a while & we drove through a massive rainstorm in France with oceans of standing water as well as some prolonged periods in 'normal' rain without any problems.

Fit a hydrolock if you want to but i wouldn't bother. Mine is my daily driver. Each day everyday in the wet. I don't even think about it when i have to drive in the wet.

Ed

EDIT:

Sorry, forgot to add. I paid about
Old 08-25-2006, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Ed

Andy
Old 08-27-2006, 03:15 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=284873&hl=

Good reading

MB
Old 08-27-2006, 07:44 AM

Thanks Mark, I thought I was with the AEM but then again don't fancy building the unbrella thingy above it and still hearing stories of Hydro lock

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone can come up with a CAI which will possibly give me a small if any gain in power but moreso give me the noise! But without the risk of hydro Lock within the same sort of price range.

There must be a solution out there.

Cheers Andy
Old 08-27-2006, 07:59 AM
MB

Well, pro's and con's with all of them but here's my quick view.

If i'm right, your criteria is price / noise / touch of power.

Its fairly hard to get more power from the intake IMO, and the AEM seems to be well proven in that department. TBH, I dont think you could go too far wrong with removing the airbox lid, fitting a snorkel and fitting a different rad shield. That may not give any more power, but I doubt it will lose any, the noise is there and its cheap!

Next option is to go for a different intake. In your criteria the next best thing is a K&N FKIP Gen II. I strongly believe K&N are the best at filters, and my Gruppe M uses one. You dont have to cut the bonnet either.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-FIPK-57i-Gen-II-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Next step up is a Mugen or J's racing intake but more
Old 08-27-2006, 08:55 AM

With regard to the Rad shield, I took of my front bumper yesterday to remove the front reg plate holder and replace my plate with a three quarter size one (which I'm most impressed with).

At the same time i removed the plastic rad shield as I could not see what purpose it served and thought that by removing it I could supply the OEM intake with cold air as well as the rad, will this cause me problems?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:21 AM
MB

Well its there for a reason, and that I guess is to prevent the bulk of hot air getting in the engine bay. That said, many have removed theirs and round it stops it jerking in traffic. There are many threads on here about it, have a look in Under The Hood FAQ.

MB
Old 08-27-2006, 09:28 AM

Thanks Mark I'll check it out . Your order of my importance wasn't bad. However I don't mind spending the extra few Quid, but only if its worth it.

Cold Air Intakes - Its a mine field
Old 08-27-2006, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Dark Blue Mark,Aug 27 2006, 04:59 PM] Well, pro's and con's with all of them but here's my quick view.

If i'm right, your criteria is price / noise / touch of power.

Its fairly hard to get more power from the intake IMO, and the AEM seems to be well proven in that department. TBH, I dont think you could go too far wrong with removing the airbox lid, fitting a snorkel and fitting a different rad shield. That may not give any more power, but I doubt it will lose any, the noise is there and its cheap!

Next option is to go for a different intake. In your criteria the next best thing is a K&N FKIP Gen II. I strongly believe K&N are the best at filters, and my Gruppe M uses one. You dont have to cut the bonnet either.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-FIPK-57i-Gen-II-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Next step up is a Mugen or J's racing intake but more
Old 08-27-2006, 09:37 AM
MB

Get one of these then

My view on intakes, and tuning the S in general, is that its like fitting peices of a jigsaw. A lot of these bits dont make much difference on their own, but in comination they can be really effective - the problem is that it costs a lot of money to do all the N/A stuff.

What im leading to is - whats your long term plan? If you are looking to go further it may be worth going for a good intake. If you are just doing a couple of bits then I think you may be wasting

Quick Reply: AEM V2 Question