UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

AEM cold air intake

Old 08-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found this explanation which has all but made my mind up, assuming it fits at the throttle body end, I will need to speak to them because looking at my CAI in the pic above you can see I have that red rubber hose on the end, maybe I am supposed to replace that with the bypass valve

Explanation

'Basically, think of a straw. You suck a liquid through it. Try punching holes through the straw midway up. Then try sucking water through the straw. Obviously, you may still be able to suck liquid through the straw being that the diameter of the straw is small. I have seen test delivered by Sport Compact Car and they say the AEM bypass valve is a sure thing and highly recommended!!'
Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm curious about this hydroshield, where can i find a picture of that?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with other comments only needed if you drive through a flood, you will get hydrolock i know some who did this and hydrolocked the car.

You can get the bit, however with the expense of a slight performance loss, and you dont get alot with an AEM to begin with.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM

It looks like a miniature tent.

Belive me when I say that you will only get hyrdolock if you plan on driving through streams.

I have had mine on and driven through BIG puddles at motorway speeds and beyond.

I had it on at the North Wales meet in April too and those that were there will know how it absolutely BUCKETED down.

Think about it - the aerodynamic forces that keep us dry with the roof down, also keep the airfilter free from water.

It is something I have looked at and the drop in pressure as a result of the intake is just not enough to deflect water at 90
Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Just buy it

it is cool
Old 08-23-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul i'm sure these fit half way up the pipe. I think on the AEM theres a split half way up and it goes there (i.e. the AEM is two piece).

I've no idea about the one on your car though.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Aug 23 2008, 02:12 AM
Just buy it

it is cool

I like your attitude AE, it should keep Lloyd in business for another year or so...
Old 08-23-2008, 01:24 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't bother with it.

You are more likely to get hydrolock when your car is parked up over night and there is a heavy downpour, the AEM has a craned neck at the end so water can collect in it, hence the duck bill previously mentioned.

It is for this reason that I always park mine with the nose pointing downhill if possible.

Another for the hydroshield, I've had one on mine since new (over 2 years) and not had a single problem as a daily driver.

I think I've read reports somewhere that the device that you're looking at can cause losses in power, but then again I may have got that wrong. Either way, wholly uneccessary in my opinion unless you plan on driving through a lake.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by LTB,Aug 23 2008, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't bother with it.

You are more likely to get hydrolock when your car is parked up over night and there is a heavy downpour, the AEM has a craned neck at the end so water can collect in it, hence the duck bill previously mentioned.

It is for this reason that I always park mine with the nose pointing downhill if possible.

Another for the hydroshield, I've had one on mine since new (over 2 years) and not had a single problem as a daily driver.

I think I've read reports somewhere that the device that you're looking at can cause losses in power, but then again I may have got that wrong. Either way, wholly uneccessary in my opinion unless you plan on driving through a lake.
Yes the performance drop was a concern for me, I wouldn't want to lose that. So I need to PM Lloyd then, or can I find the hydrosheild on his website?

@Rick, yes mine is two piece

@Ron, nice drawing and description

@Ian, if I bought every gadget because it was cool I would be bankrupt I am terrible for buying gadgets!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Someone a while back worked out the developed suction head / pressure that the engine can make, and then worked out the lenght of the pipe and I think it was pretty hard to draw in water.

That said, i'd fit some sort of protection if I had one.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/010...alve/index.html

Quick Reply: AEM cold air intake